Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR600 Engine Life

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kenn0171, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how many km's a zzr600 will usually last?
    I'm looking at getting one as an upgrade when i come of my restrictions in 4 weeks, and a lot of the ads i've seen have between 40k and 100k.

I've read some reviews (and what info i could find on the forum here), but havent been able to find too much on what you would consider "too many km's" (i.e. i know for something like a BMW R1150 there's almost no such thing as "too many km's" as they seem good to beyond 200k).

Well, if anyone has some input on that, or any other things to watch out for when looking at a ZZR600 i'd appreciate it :)

2. OK, Ken, some unchangeable laws for you.

1. Service regime and intervals is what is important, not mileage.

2. Overall condition will tell you how easy or hard the miles have been.

My Hornet has 105,000 kms on it, has been religiously serviced, has never had the heads lifted or any major component replaced and is as tight as drum in all departments, except the suspension, which is getting a bit 'saggy'. I wouldn't get much for it if I sold it, but whoever bought it could be confident of at least another 50,000 kms before anything major may need doing..

If you're not confident of what to look for when you go to buy, take someone with you who is; not your uncle Fred who used to ride back in the 60s; a Netrider person near you, or a current active rider at least.
  3. Cheers for that info,

I'm going to take your advice and look for a service history first.

I plan to take my uncle along with me (though he's not my uncle fred :p ) cos even though he doesnt have a bike at the moment, he's had some extensive riding experience over the past decade or so, and he's liable to give me an opinion that isn't based on emotion.

Plus if i get the itch to upgrade early i'll need someone to ride her home for me :grin:
  4. +1 to everything Hornet said.

As far as the model itself, great bike. Excellent riding position, enough power to get into and out of trouble and great looks. Those things were made for an eternity, so spares are easy to find and not too expensive.

If they seller doesn't have the service history, you can get an idea of its history just by looking at the bike. Rust on the chain is a big sign of neglecting the little things, so one could consider that the big things have also been over-looked.