Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 wont even turn over

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by kransky.dan, Feb 27, 2007.

1. hey all,
    here we are again and im still having issues with my bike.
    Sun i walked out to it (hadn't been ridden for 2 weeks) and it turned over reasonably well, it blew a lot of black smoke (which i expected) but then it stalled.
    After that i could get it started any more, tried push starting it (dont do while on the bike, carved up my leg doing so, had a mate pushing from behind too) could he the starter but it would ignite.
    so we take it apart (mate is mechanic - car) and i have no idea what im doing to have a look.
    Did nothing and tried again and finally got it started but on full throttle it was staying at 3000rpm.

Left is came back yesterday it started, went for a ride, adjusted idle speed and it still stalled.

PROBLEM - now it wont even tick over, cannot hear the tick tick any ideas?
    Battery is reporting 60% charge so that is fine, and i also checked the main fuse box and they were all intact.
    Also after putting fairings back on my headlight is not working? I didnt take off the front fairing so didnt touch the headlight, indicators work, is there a plug i missed?
    The dash does light up though.

HELP i need this bike working / starting and idling.
    When it started it felt like it was laggy in response time too.

Any ideas would be awesome in detail would be cool as i know nothing.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!! :( :(
  2. My ZZR did the 3000 rpm think, stalling, no power, sounded funny, just plain unhappy. Turned out to be dirty fuel for me. Filled up the tank and she ran fine.

On another occasion, it wouldn't tick over at all, this was because i had washed the bike and the kill switch got some water in it and was acting as if the kill switch was still on. Took that apart and put some WD-40 on the contacts and the bike started normally.

Thats the only advice i can offer. I know its not much, but hopefully it helps.
  3. start with the battery, make sure its fully charged. then check your spark plugs, might be flooded or need replacing. if not above, make sure carbies are cleaned and tuned.
  4. Check to make sure all the cables are adjusted properly as well, the first time I did the valves on the GSF it took me 20 minutes to figure out why it wasn't starting. :p
  5. Engines are divided into two parts for operation

1. Fuel
    2. Electrical

I always eliminate fuel first by placing a capful of petrol into each cylinder
    even if it doesn't run it will fire and make a noise, if it does not make any noise or splutter, then its an electrical fault.

Electricals are
    1. Power source= battery
    2. Trigger= Ignitor unit
    3. Spark = Coil unit
  6. hey all fixed up, had to solder in a new relay, tried replacing it in the junction box but that didnt work, so my mate added an external one and it works perfectly