Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 - Syncronising Carbs by hand - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hydroxinol, Feb 21, 2009.

1. After inspecting my spark plugs I noticed that the left cylinder was running more lean compared to the right. I decided to play with the mixture screw underneath.....one thing led to another and now the carbs are out of sync :grin:

Does anyone know how many turns out the mixture screw should be on these carbies at factory? I have a 1998 Kawasaki ZZR250. I am also using a homemade carb sync tool but it is a little clumsy.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. I decided to soldier on with the grueling process of tuning both the Butterfly valve and mixture screw on both carbies.

I ended up leaving the mixture screw about 3 turns out on both carbies. And I tuned the butterfly valve until the vacuum was at equilibrium in both bottles of my homemade carby syncer.

WOW, what a difference that made. I thought I fcuked it up more than it was to begin with but the end result was an improvement. I am sure that both carby's are still out but at least the bike is running well for now :)

Can someone with a ZZR250 please confirm how many turns out they have the mixture screw and butterfly valve on their carby? I want to have a ballpark to work with.
  3. According to my favourite ZZR-250 online reference (well it's actually a GPX-250 reference), the mixture screws should be 2.5 turns out.

I can't find info on the butterfly valve at the moment, but here is the section on carbs if you want to have a look.

From my experience, the ZZR-250 is a tempermental little thing, so if you have it running well enough, then near enough is good enough!
  4. hahaha, thanks heaps for that Speed Demon :)
    That web site you provided is very helpful