Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 Slow Clutch release. Bike Cuts-out.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Wulfr, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I'm not new here, I changed my email address; and it wouldn't allow be to log back on until an Admin re-enabled my account.

Quick Question;

I have a 1995 ZZR250, when I come out of neutral and into first, the bike runs fine, but as I slowly release the Clutch, the bike looses all power and cuts out.... Sometimes I release the Clutch, and just before it dies, I pull the clutch back in; it go's to cut out, but then comes back to full power as I quickly pull the clutch back in.

Does anyone know if this is a Big problem? - Bought the ZZR 6 months ago and currently getting some parts for a RWC (Break-pads, 2nd hand front and rear rotors and a few other pieces)

The boys at Pakenham Powerhouse did a RWC checkup yesterday, and got the bike started up, and running, but didn't test drive it as it is unroadworthy.

Just need to know if this is a Big problem/ costly thing that the bike is cutting out, Any major concerns I should have upon getting it fixed up (Cost wise) if it's worth getting the 2nd hand stuff - pending on if this is a big issue?

The ZZR250 95' don't have a Kickstand kill-switch on them do they, as I can't see any wires near the Kickstand. Was thinking may be a faulty sensor.
  2. Hi mate, our '96 ZZ-R250 DOES have a kickstand cutout switch, & it sounds exactly like what you're describing.

Check it out, I'm not sure if it should be a N/O or N/C switch, but if you've got a multimeter, make sure the switch is working correctly.

If the switch is missing, the wires have probably been wired together (or apart?) to bypass the switch, make sure the connection (or lack of connection) is right.

HTH, lets us know how you go. If you need any more help, I can check out how the switch works tonight & let you know.
  3. Cheers MV,

I've had a closer look, and discovered there are wires going into the inner right hand-side of the Kickstand (Black box, type of thing)

I'm guessing this is the problem. I was reading you can cut and mount the two wires together to bypass the problem, but not going to risk it, still need to get the RWC.

I'm guessing I'll have to take the bike back in and get it looked over prior to getting the RWC.

I'll update on how it gos.

4. Bypassing the kickstand cutout shouldn't cause you any problems with getting a RWC AFAIK. It's what I would do. cheap too :grin:
  5. mate glad youve found the problem, but your sort of asking for it when you buy a bike (or a cage for that matter) without a RWC. anything could b wrong with it. you might get pinged in the RWC for not having the kickstand. depends on how thourough the RWC is done
  6. Kickstand or kickstand cutout switch?
  7. Quiet a few bikes dont have a cutout switch...
  8. Take it to Scott Webster, West Gippsland Auto Electrics, in Pakenham.. He is a Motorcyclist, and can help.
  9. How did you go mate? :?: