Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 - Removing the plugs.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Linux_insidev2, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Hey guys, want to pull out the plugs on my ZZR to check if they are dirty, i hear that you can tell if your bike is running too rich if the plugs are charred or black.

The problem is that the bike is running too rich from what i can tell, it eats fuel, doesn't work with the choke on and smells like fuel.

I had a look, but it appears that you have to remove the fuel tank, i hope i'm wrong.

2. On my CBR from memory the tank, the airbox both needed to be removed.

If your zzr is anything like my bike removing the tank is pretty easy. There should be a couple of screws behind the seat. Take the seat off then unbolt the tank from the front and back and lift it off remembering where the hoses go back in.

After that you might also need to take off the airbox too. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain that bit better than me.

If you're lucky you might be able to unbolt the radiator and get your hands in the gap to remove the spark plugs.

3. yes you need to remove the tank ,

its not all that tricky really and then there is easy access to the plugs

i would check your air filter when you have the seat off, it could need a good cleaning as well

4. oh okay, the only issue i have with taking the tank off is that the kwakka service guide instructs me to drain it, i can just switch the fuel off at the tap though can i?

5. No, you can't turn it off. But you don't need to drain it. You'd seriously want to have it about half or less full thought, because it heavy. Don't need to take the airbox out, but as said its probably due for it anyway, and it does make a noticeable difference.

There is a site for our bike with alot of great info.
    http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

There are some differences from the american version (that site) and ours, but its still very useful.

6. you dont need to drain it

have the fuel tap on the on or res positions , as its a vacuum tap it shouldnt leak , make sure it is not on the PRI position or it will piss fuel everywhere

7. sweet, i'll do that in a while because i've only just filled up and it will be a bit heavy :p

Thanks also for that EX250 link, it has a lot of awesome resources - it might help me with the fork alignment.

8. Cheers for the link Phizog! I'll be looking at that when the time comes to do work on the ZZR