Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

zzr250 rear sprocket/chain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by blackened, Mar 7, 2009.

1. hi i own a kawasaki zzr250 91,my chain has been really loose even when i pull back my tyre as far back as i can and tighten the adjusters.So i have bought a new chain and engine sporcket but it is still a bit to loose,my rear sprocket is 47tooth and may be a bit worn (does any1 know the outside diameter of the rear sprocket 47t?mine is about 250mm) and i was wondering if i bought a new rear sprocket or went for a bigger size e.g more teeth would get the chain get the extra 10-25mm of tightness i need for the chain to stop hitting the swingarm and would it have any effect on the riding of the bike
    i have thought bout taking it to the machanic but if they cut the chain could they take links out and get a new masterlink or would i have to buy a new chain?
    if any1 has any other ideas please let me know
    any advice will be much appeciated
    thanks

2. You need to cut the chain to the required amount of links, I think it's 112-116 for the ZZR from memory. Your manual will tell you.

Best to replace both sprockets & chain at the same time, grab a new rear sprocket of the right amount of teeth. Once you cut your chain to the right length all your troubles will be over.

HTH, let us know how you go.