Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 rear shock

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by The duke, Jan 11, 2009.

1. I just bought a 2001 ZZR250 for my wife. The rear of the bike drops significantly with the weight of the rider. The rear shock seems too weak. I haven't ridden a 250 in about 10 years and I was wondering is this normal?

It doesn't appear to have any adjustability. Is this correct?

Any solutions?

2. yep, no adjustment and they do tend to 'drop' a little when you get on. if its got a few kms on it you may just need a new (second hand) one.

3. A new shock might be an option then..

thanks

4. is the 2001 differant from the 2006 model? my 06zzr has an adjustment knob. Had it cranked up a couple months ago cause I keep bottoming out. my problem is that zzrs arent build for heavy blokes (110kg).

easy to see if your shocks are shot. push down on the rear wheel and see if its bounes back up again with no problems. or take it to a shop and they should be able to tell you in 10 seconds.

5. The ZZR250 rear shock has preload adjustment via the adjusting nut at the top of the spring.

Grab a C-spanner and curse frequently as you try to turn the damn nut due to the tight space around the airbox and battery tray.

Clockwise to increase preload and reduce sag.

From memory, the stock position is the second softest setting. I think there's about 7-8 settings you can crank the locknut.

Dont expect miracles, but it will reduce that excessive saggy feeling.

6. dint think you could adjust them.. maybe it was the older ones i saw ?

7. Thanks guys. I'll have a look shortly.

8. Sorry to revive an old thread. If you can't get your hands on a c spanner, a hammer and drift (or screwdriver) will be enough to knock the collar around to where you need it :)

9. Sorry to revive an old thread. If you can't get your hands on a c spanner, a hammer and drift (or screwdriver) will be enough to knock the collar around to where you need it :)