Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 Rear Shock Adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by karl, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    Yes I have read most of the posts on suspension setup but I hope someone will have experience with this query and can help.
    I have a near new ZZR250, 2005 which I have recently purchased. Being vey mechanically minded I am setting it up as best I can and I am looking at the rear end pre-load because I am a big bastard 6 foot 3 and 95 kg. I purchased from a female who was probably 55kg wet. The owners manual says only get it adjusted at a dealer...sure It cant be that hard. So I have sourced a service manual. This says I have 5 settings, factory setting is 2 for about 70kg rider. It also says I need a special tool for the adjustment. I am thinking setting 3 or 4 would be a good start.
    Before I dissasemble the rear end can someone let me know if this adjustment can be done without 'special tool'. I do have a good set of standard tools.
    Thanks in advance.
    Karl

2. Generally the minimum you need is a c-spanner.

As to the pulling the rear end apart, it may well be neccessary. I can't get into mine without pulling the rear wheel off and even then it's tough, and it's a sports bike.

The Japanese designer weren't very considerate of access and maintenace for a long time there. No wonder BMW survived.

3. If you look under the back you can see where the rear spring is, and what a prick it is to get at. The preload is adjustable by rotating the collar on the shaft of the shock to add more tension to the spring. It's notched to take an odd kind of tool, but I expect you could improvise with a stilson or something.

4. The ZZR250 rear shock is a biatch to get at, even with a proper c-spanner.

Seany did Egiste's at Southbank coffee one night, it involved removing the chain guard I think... Either way it was a pain in the arse of a job. I couldn't reach it with just the c-spanner.

So ave a crack if you've got a c-spanner, otherwise bring it to a coffee night and somebody'll have one.

5. Thanks all, I think I will just give it a go. If all else fails, I have a mate with a serious machine shop in granville. I could make a tool.
    Karl

6. Easy to do. Three bolts and it falls out. Big adjustable grips and you can turn it. Clean it up and put back in. No worries.
    Thanks for the advice.

7. Did you get a discount for getting her that way hehehehe