Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 buying question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by burbleson, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I am currently looking to purchase my first bike and have found a 2002 zzr250 that I like. However, when I was inspecting it today I noticed there was a crack in what I would describe as the real wheel guard/arch - directly above the rear wheel/under the passenger seat. I didn't notice any other damage to the bike though so it seemed strange. Any thoughts? Should I avoid it?

Also, how long do these things go for? The one I looked at had 37k on the clock but went better than one I took out with only 20k.

Thanks in advance.
  2. That part is made out of plastic, right?
    Cracking might just be due to vibration or combination of vibration and mounting not quite right.
    If the bike has been fitted with an oversize rear tyre it could have struck the guard on full bump travel but you'd expect to see scuffing in that case.
    If this model has a seat that lifts up for battery access etc someone may have stowed the owners manual or somesuch under the seat and added the weight of a pillion to crack the guard.
    As such it doesn't sound serious to me but if you're really concerned you could investigate the cost of a replacement part or a plastic welding fix.

37k isn't a huge amount but depends on how many ks you intend to put on it over how many years.
    Try to get service records. Particularly oil changes.
  3. Cheers for the advice Al. I don't recall seeing any scuff marks under there so who knows what it could have been. In the end up I picked up another bike anyway. Thanks for your help again though!