Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 burning smell

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by tonee, Jul 29, 2009.

1. i have an 02 ZZR250 and after every ride, theres a burning smell (like plastic) under the bike. I've tried tracing the smell and still no clue. I thought it was my L plates but i've removed it and i can still smell it.

is this normal? or is it just a ZZR thing.

2. Oil leak? Something melted onto the engine or exhaust?

:?:

Maybe take the fairings off & have a gander.

3. im not sure, it just smells like burnt plastic

4. Hey you're in Yarraville too, maybe it's time to organasie a spanner night, I know mine could use some more spanner time!

I'm tied up for the next couple of weeks, otherwise you could bring it around for a look...

The misses ZZ-R had an oil leak a while ago, it would smell like burning everytime you stopped, easily fixed with a new gasket.

If you're game, take the fairings off & have a look, it's only a dozen screws, four allen key bolts & two wires to unplug! :LOL:

It'll take you an hour the first time, & 6 minutes everytime after that.

5. You might have collected a plastic bag at some stage that melted to your headers. Id take off the fairings and have a good look around. Has it always done this or is it only recent? Maybe its a coolant leak? coolant smells a bit plasticky.

6. If you've noticed, im the guy working at coles talking to every rider who comes to my register lol.

Ill open pull apart my my fairings when i get the time and look for oil leaks or some crap stuck inside.