Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR250 bottoming out

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by kransky.dan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Hey all,
    When going round a corner, fairly quickly (as we do) and hit a bump (nothing that big) i found that my bike's exhaust is hitting a bolt like object because of the compression of the suspension. Has happened a couple of times and it has now actually punctured a home in my right hand muffler.
    I find this very emotional :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Anyone else having this issue?? apart from the obvious any ideas on how to solve.
    Pics will follow for anyone interested.
    thanks all

2. more preload in your rear shock.

or just slow down a little :p
  3. The primary problem isn't the suspension. The ZZR exhausts are set up to clear the rear wheel nuts. Yuo get this happen after the bike have been on its side. The mounting plates on the exhaust get bent (they are only soft). I had this issue, you can try pulling the exhaust away from the bike or take it off and straighten the plates in a vise. Whatever you do be careful, they are only spot welded.
    Good Luck
  4. Mithel is correct. The exaust should clear, so it's likely the mount has been bent in towards the frame. Thry to carefully lever it back out with a block of wood. :)

It may pay to know someone with a welder just in case it breaks. As for the hole in the pipe, Locktite Muffler Putty should fix it. :)
  5. hey,
    thanks all, yea i know a guy with a welder, so he might come in handy.
    will try and bog it up and see what happens.
    cheers again