Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

zzr1100 at Ray Quincey's- a few questions.

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by lotek83, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hello Netrider forum junkies!

My first post in your hallowed halls but i've been lurking for some time now. I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of an insight into my search for a late 90's kwak zzr 1100.

I've been having a look at one at Ray Quincey's in Melbourne and tbh it looks pretty good. 43,000 clicks on it and it cold starts well. Barely any corrosion points. Haven't test ridden it yet as they were reluctant to let me have a burn until we'd agreed on a provisional price. Anyway a few things cropped up I'm curious about.

1. When i asked for service books i was told that the bike came with what they were given which i took to mean no books.

2. they said they didn't give their bikes services when they came in but 'gave it a going over to see if there was anything out of line' and that sometimes that included an oil change, is this standard dealer practice?

3. They said they didn't offer any after sale support with regards to mechanical problems encountered a short period after sale. Is this standard or should i be a bit cagey about it?

4. Can anyone give me the good oil on Ray Quincey as a dealership and their reputation? (off the track that is :p)

5. anyone know any good independent Melbourne based Bike evaluators who could let me know if I'm missing anything that's going to cost me in the near future?

So yes I've given them a provisional offer and if they accept I'm faced with the possibility of picking up the right model/year/k's bike with the same risks as a private sale. Reckon I'm being a bit uptight or should i be a bit guarded on this? Incidentally is anyone's got a late model Z11 for sale aroung 5.5-6k give me a yell!
  2. If you are only going to get the benefits associated with a private sale, then you may as well find a bike privately and deal with the owner direct, you will probably be better off doing it this way.

BTW, did you get the impression that everything inside the store had been down the road at some stage?

I get the impression that their motto should be "We have the bike for you, straight off the back of the wholesale truck!"
  3. MVrog has one.
    I'd be sending him a PM for the inside goss.

In Vic there is no warranty required on used bikes. Some may offer it though.
  4. Cheers guys for the input. I'll pm MVrog once i get my posts up a bit. Was unaware that they required no after sale service on second hands in Vic. I'm partially tempted to bide my time with regards to the Z11 as there aren't a great deal of youngish ones on the market atm but i don't doubt with the current economic madness some more will crop up soon, however I'm quite tempted by the low k's.
  5. Personally I'd give it a miss and go private, especially with that bike as they normally attract an older crowd that look after their bikes.

IMHO I find the Quincy store to reek of dodginess.[/i]
  6. Use the search function as everyone of your questions has been asked a zillion times before!
  7. LadyYamaha, the search function is fine for approximations of threads that might help me, however i preferred to put my case out there and see if anyone had some good advice. That seemed to work fine. I'm quite intrigued that this got your hackles up enough to contribute. I think we're all well aware of the search function.

anyway, cheers for the input guys, i've heard it said (using the search function earlier) that the right bike for you is out there, you just have to let it find you and not rush into the first good thing that comes along so that's what i'll be doing. Looks like its time to cruise the wanted forums!
  8. I'm sure they are a great bunch of blokes etc etc but I got a bad vibe in there and it only got worse when I spoke to the people that work there.
  9. Yeah, but at least with those guys you get no pretences! What you see (and hear) is pretty much what you get.
    Remember you are buying an older bike, and there will always be some issue with them from usage and age.

Rule of thumb is to spend 80-85% of your budget on the bike (second hand) and the rest for some fixes.
  10. About 18 months and 35,000kms ago I bought my cbr6 from Ray Quincey. Despite my best efforts, it's still running fine.

When buying second hand, don't stress too much about who you're buying it from*, concerntrate more on the condition of the bike.

* Sumoto excluded.
  11. That is a good point port80, what i was mainly concerned about was the possibility of larger mechanical problems being disguised on the bike for the short term, not being able to pick them out on a test ride and having headaches a bit down the road because of it. Thanks for the replys so far tho, its given me a few new ways to look at the whole process of acquiring an older machine :)
  12. Stay away from Ray Quinceys, not worth the hassle!
  13. I'd be more inclined to consider the bike itself and its overall reputation for reliability and performance. It seems from a quick "google" that the model was discontiunued in 2001, 8 years ago. So, if the bike you're looking at has 43000kms, that means it's done just a tick over 5000kms average per year, assuming it's a 2001 model.

Given that Kawasaki motors are about as bullet-proof as they come, I'd say you'd have no issues at all.

FWIW I cannot comment on the suitability of the dealership you're mentioning as I've never dealt with them, but I am disappointed to read that they don't have a great reputation. Ray Quincey was one of Australia's brightest racing stars in the mid-1970's. Son of international and local racing star, Maurice, Ray won, IIRC the 125cc, 250cc and 350cc Australian titles in 1976 (please don't quote me, it was a long time ago) and then headed overseas as most hopeful young Aussie riders did to seek his fame and fortune. He eventually hooked up with an Italian team who promised him a good contract and competitive bikes. Sadly the truth was less than what was offered. Ray found himself riding sub-par bikes on sub-par tracks for sub-par prize money and benefits.

Then, on the first weekend of August 1978 (the same weekend that saw the death of Danny Oakhill in an accident at Lakeside and he deaths of two British riders and the critical injury to Warren Willing at the North West 200...again it was a long time ago) Ray crashed in the rain on a tinpot little track in Belgium. His bike skidded off the track and hit some haybales and Ray skidded also and hit his back on an exposed post. He recalls that, when he opened his eyes he saw his legs stretched out in front of him and noted that he couldn't feel them. He said, "I reached down and touched them and it was like patting a dead dog." He says that he knew, right then, that he'd probably never walk again.

Ray's mum and dad rescued him, brought him home paid for his extensive medical expenses and modified their own home so that it could accommodate Ray and his wheelchair. The Italian team for which Ray was racing has, to my knowledge, never contributed one single cent to Ray's expenses, despite extensive attempts at recovering what is owed through all kinds of legal means.

Ray lives in hope that one day doctors may be able to find a way of rejoining severed nerves in his spine so that he can walk again, but the progress of time and the atrophying of the area that has occured in the intervening years makes this a vain hope at best.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that, had he not suffered this career-ending injury, Ray would have gone on to be one of the brightest stars that Australian racing produced in his era.
  14. I bought my 2008 GSR600 with 1,250 kms on the clock from Ray Quincey's for $7,990 which was a bargain and had no problems. They seem to have some very cheap bikes.
  15. First post, hi there.

I bought my first bike from Ray Quincy's, '91 EL 250 (big mistake as I'm 6'1 but I wasn't looking in the mirror!).

They changed the price when I was in there upwards (they pretended it was a mistake) by about $500 when they were racking up the sale. No probs with the bike, until 2 months later shat out. Oil going gang busters, blown this and that. I ended up selling it to a bloke with a workshop who said I got done (I pop in every now and then and he is going to check out my next purchase so I don't get screwed). So I would never buy from there again. They also use students from RMIT to tune the bikes and do work, cos they introduced me to one.

Secondly, I saw a used Dainese jacket in there first time I was there. Came back 3 months later and wanted to buy it, the gy starts up 'Yeeeahhh... just came in that one, guy just bought a new one etc..' And I told him I saw it 3 months ago... 'uhh.. yeah... must be different' Liars. And when it comes to bikes and ultimately safety on bikes, it's not good enough. IMHO. Go private. Take a friend who can tell.

FWIW, Ray is a nice guy and a legend. No probs there.