Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Steve250, Nov 3, 2007.

1. I'm looking for a 1st bike and have been quite interested in the ZZR250, I sat on 1 in a shop and it was quite comfortable and a nice looking bike, plus have heard of quite a few people saying they are an excellent bike, but since ive found the FZR250 which i dont know much about but have been told it will be a reasonable bit quicker, and they also look fairly good. I am wondering what theyre like to ride and how much room they have for someone tall like me? I am not comfortable sitting on a CBR250 although ive liked them since i was young. I'm also wondering what type of engine they have? I'm guessing its a 4 stroke 4 cylinder? Any suggestions much appreciated

2. Yeah the CBR is a 4 cylinder 4-stroke - and pretty much identical to the FZR in terms of performance. On paper the ZZR is down on power compared with a CBR/FZR (though only by 4hp) - but realistically given that most CBR/FZRs are at least 15 years old a ZZR that's only a few years old would probably be putting out the same amount of power if not more. Plus the ZZR also has a much less peaky power band so doesn't have to be revved as hard and is therefore easier to ride. If the ZZR fits then that's the one to buy - don't bother too much about what people say is fast (just learn to ride what you've got well and pass them in the corners ;)).
  3. Fzr is 4 stroke inline4cyl yes.

Vs zzr 4 stroke inline2cyl (or parallel twin, whatever you like to call it)

Zzr is lower revving and lazy - For cruising along I keep revvs above 6500, below that and theres not a whole lot of power. For moderate acceleration I go to 8000 before shifting, or 10000 or if really wanting to get going fast.

Fzr develops power higher in the rev range, so expect to cruise @ about 8000rpm, moderate power 10000, lots of power, 13000+. This is based on my experiences of cbr250rrs, essentially the same thing.

Not that theres anything inherently wrong with revving higher, its doesn't necessarily mean that the zzr engine will last longer. But it just means you can be lazier on the zzr, it doesn't punish you for being in the wrong gear as much as a fzr will.

Zzr is fine for any 0-100 speed, but if you're going to be doing some serious fast country road riding, fzr is the better ticket as it doesn't run out of chug and keeps pulling impressively up to about 140.

Zzr is more comfy long trip, but wouldn't handle as well (assuming comparing bikes in same condition). Regarding that, $4500 will get you an 00-02 zzr with low kms, or 90-95 fzr with the 'same' kms, and in worse condition.

If you're a speed demon get the fzr, if not - don't even bother.
  4. So is the FZR small to sit on like a CBR? I was thinking it would be more of a difference in power too, but if thats all it is, zzr might be the way to go, also cheaper for insurance shouldnt it be? I'll be using the bike a bit for going to work along a few 90 and 100 zones so im wanting a bike that will do those speeds without any problems, but then again I am only "learning" on the road so i probably shouldnt be getting a bike because of how fast it is, although i like speed just like most people do!
  5. Yes, about same size as cbr. Yes cbr has more power than cbr, but not important till you're doing over 100. Zzr might be a little bit cheaper, you'd imagine so considering its not an import, so more parts are available, etc. but if you're under 30 expect comprehensive to be a real expensive. I've just for 3rd party on mine. How far on the freeway? If you're talking near 100km round trip per day I'd be looking at a gs500 or similar if your state allows it.. oh wait you're in SA..

Zzr IMO is easier to learn on than fzr - easier in traffic, and at low speeds in general.
  6. The comments re the 2 bikes noted are pretty much correct, the one thing you need to be aware of is the FZR is a grey import.

This means history is questionable, parts can at times be difficult to source and often more expensive. Insurance can also be more costly, and some insurers won't even touch grey bikes.
  7. The FZR, like the CBR and the ZXR, is a little mini racebike. Great for experienced riders, not so great for giving learners confidence, or learning how to deal with tight traffic spots.

The ZZR is a fun all-rounder with a more comfortable riding position, bars that will turn from lock to lock without mashing your thumbs against the tank, and a good twin engine that has a fair spread of power.

While the FZR is capable of a bit more than the ZZR, you'll learn quicker and more safely on the ZZR and probably come out a much more confident rider.
  8. The ZZR will manage 100kph just fine with enough in reserve if need be - top speed should be around the 160kph mark (though if you're buying a bike for straight line speed then you're buying one for all the wrong reasons).
    Oh and if you're tall it'd also be worth trying to find a Suzuki Across (GSX250F) to have a look at. It's a fully-faired 4 cylinder like the CBR/FZR but has the advantage of being quite large and quite comfortable since they were designed as a sports-tourer rather than a full on sportsbike.
  9. As far as learning to ride, ive been riding dirt bikes most of my life so thats not a problem, so basically i just need to learn how to handle a bike in traffic. Sounds like the zzr might be my best option, i was looking at the across before but i think its a bit too big for a 250 and looks heavy, not sure if it is or not. My ride to work is only like 20 k's each way and yes i live in SA so only allowed to ride up to 660cc under 150kw/t so im thinking its not worth getting a bigger enigne bike that is slow for its size and probably much heavier, although i maybe proven wrong. I also dont want to be spending heaps on insurance if i dont have to. Thanks heaps for the advice everyone.
  10. Yeah for that distance get an 01-02 zzr for 4.5kish

Or 03-05 gpx (effectively the same thing) for 4.5ish
  11. I just sold an FZR which I owned for over 3 years.

My brother had a GPX250 ( same engine and mostly the same as zzr ), 2000 model I think. My sister also had a GPX, but for less time and she road so pathetically, its hard to tell what that bike was up to... poor bike.

My FZR was 1990 model.

My FZR had more kms. Much quicker. Much more reliable... yeah, wouldn't hear that on the forums too much, but I never had a problem once and he had a few issues.

I've also owned a CBR single R, and plenty of rides on a ZXR whilst my mate didn't have a licence and someone had to keep the battery happy :)

Don't listen to everything you read. Some bikes are reliable, others aren't. I never had an issue with my FZR except it got stolen and thrown over a fence. Cops told me where it was got some finger prints and I replaced the ignition barrel and continued riding as normal.

Exup valve helps with a little more bottom end power compared to other 4cyl bikes, although this didn't do that much in my opinion, it actually had very impressive pickup from 7,000rpm and then again another punch at 12,000 strong up to around 16,000 and no problems holding good power right to 18,500rpms.

Bit harder to ride than my mates CBR and ZXR, but maybe because it sat out in the whether all the time and clutch was a bit sticky and suspension and turn in felt a little harder.

I don't think any bike has an expiry date stamped on the side. Somethings die at 40,000kms, some 240,000kms. Judge things case by case.

The thing I'd be worried about most, is you making the decision to get a ZZR cause its new, like a lot of people I know have, then see my bike or another ZXR or something and go, but it looks so much better and goes better and sounds like sex.. I want that one now.
  12. Looking back, if I made the decision again I would get an i4 cbr, zxr, fzr, or something like that. Probably fzr as they seem pretty cheap compared to the others..

But thats because I'm thinking in terms of what experience I have now..

So maybe a good concept would be that if you intend to do a lot of riding on your Ls/Ps, and a large amount of it to be fast/twisty riding, i4 sports is probably the way to go. But if you're only going to rack up 10k kms in your learning time, might not be worth it.
  13. how do the 250 hornet's go compared to these bikes?
  14. They're on the zzr side of things. Pretty much vtr250s/spada/etc.

But they're naked, so extended higher speeds might not be as easy.
  15. The hornet looks yum. There are 2 that are being sold near me for $3000. They are in pritty good nick, but i think its a battle between hornet, ZZR and the 250 Ninja.
  16. is top speed really a factor for learners?
    the hornet is a fine example of a learners bike IMO, and completely contrasting the v-twin spada/vtr.
    i have reason to believe that the hornet crashes well (low speed drops etc.) so it would be a hard one to pass up, for your initiation in to road riding. anything sporty will be far less forgiving on the wallet should the inevitable happen :!:
  17. Its lucky i just am a sucker for nakeds :LOL:
    And yeah i was checking out some of the spada's too, but the ones on the market around me atm are buckets, but there is one and he wants like $6g, yeah right mate.
  18. Be aware that the hornet runs a 180 rear tyre standard, and these will set you back $250-300 a pop.

Alot of $$ for a low power bike. The upside is large full size frame with pretty good power in 250 terms.
  19. Awesome, this guy just put a new set on it :grin: , will just have to see if they are a set of el-chepo's.
    Anyways, im not looking for high top speeds, im just trying to find a bike that got guts in the acceleration area. I feel more secure on a bike with decent moving power.
  20. You are looking in the wrong capacity region for that. 250's have no guts in the acceleration area.