Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR seat retriming at home?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Kowasaki, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Hey guys, I need to retrim the seat on my new ZZR. I've done flat dirt bike seats before but never anything with a concave. I've seen a few people do it on youtube and it looks simple enough but how easy/hard is it really going to be to get whatever fabric I use to sit in the concave properly? And what should I use and where should I look for it? Would hate to pay for it to be done after I've saved so much doing the body repairs myself haha..

2. Hi Brendan,
    It shouldn't be too hard to do a good job if you've already had some practice.
    I'd speak to some motor or marine trimmers in the area and see what products they stock.
    I've heard good things about Nolan UDA's Nortex Allsport.
    It's a fully flexible exterior fabric.

Go nice and easy with a good contact adhesive spray, on both surfaces.
    Get the exterior surfaces bonded first and then go back and fill the centre.
    Leave some weight or a former on it overnight and it should be fine.
    Putting a belt around the exterior might help hold it in while you are working the seat base.
  3. Cheers mate, it does look pretty easy. I'll do the rounds of a few places today and see what I can come up with. My other thought is I'm making my own rear seat cowl (for single seat rego) so would I be able to bring that further forwards, which will cover the crack? Or am I not allowed to bring a solid object down onto the curve of the seat? So basically have a fibre glass cover/cowl come from the back of the seat and shape it around to about 1" down the curve onto the main seat.. I guess the easiest way to explain would be I want to make it kinda like the 250r ninja seat, but instead of frame under the cowl, it'll be seat, and the crack..

EDIT: Here's a pic where you can see the hole..