Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR Issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by s_adam03, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I just purchased a second hand ZZR, I have 2 questions:

- Has anyone else seen a poroblem where it is near impossible to push the bike in first gear even when the clutch is pulled in?

- Couldn't start it ran the battery flat as couldn't get it to start.

Thanks in advance.
  2. My GPX (same engine and trans.) was the same, clutch seemed to drag until its run a while, freed up quickly once the engine was running and I pumped the lever a couple times.
    The only time it was a problem was exactly what you described, ran the battery flat after a long break and couldn't bump start the bastard.
  3. Hey Adam, welcome to the forums. I've got a ZZR twofiddy as well. I don't believe I've ever had that problem with pushing the bike while holding the clutch. Sounds like somethings a bit wonky.

And starting the bike, sometimes you have to turn the throttle a bit while starting, and turning up the choke. Maybe you have to put the fuel tap onto PRI (prime). But you shouldn't keep holding the start button for a long time or the battery just goes flat. Just try it a bit. Then stop, let it settle down a bit, and try starting again.
  4. I know nothing about the ZZR250, but I’ve bump started a few bikes in my time & could not do it on a GPX250. Something about a positive neutral finder & some bike thing that doesn’t let the bike go anywhere with a dead engine unless you’re in neutral.

Must be there to save lives as it’s a real mongral.

You can jump start bikes using jumper leads to cars you know (had a mate who thought this ridiculous as he pushed his ’95 CBR600 up & doen his driveway. )
  5. Its normal for there to be some drag on the clutch while its dry, but if its really hard to push check the clutch lever is adjusted properly, theres a little screw thingy where the cable comes out of the lever.
    Also check the oils at the right level, little window on the right hand side, near your foot brake. Should be 3/4 full with the bike on the center stand.

I had a bad battery for a while so got some roll start practice, found its best to push in neutral, then jump on put it in first and let the clutch out. Give it a little throttle at the same time. You may need to bounce down as you let the clutch out so the tyre grips.
    Also make sure the key and kill switch are in the proper ON position or you will be pushing it all day :D

If it wouldnt start on battery then it probably wont start easily by pushing, best to go the car jump start, or battery charger if you have the equipment available.

Turn the fuel switch to the prime position, which is half way. The ZZR and GPX have a vacuume operated fuel switch which often causes trouble. Prime will bypass that switch.
  6. My son-in-law's zzr is having exactly the same problem. Mechanic reckons it has to do with the engine flooding and filling up the crankcase with fuel, sounds strange to me, but his bike is in the shop at the moment to try and get exactly that problem fixed
  7. Thanks for the responses, turned out it did just need to be warmed up and the clutch freed up nicely. never mind the other repairs needed to the bike but thats another story :D