Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR Fairing replacement/repair?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by lotek83, May 6, 2009.

1. Hello all,

here begins my tale of shame. Back during that delightful heatwave known as the 'Summer of O9' I managed to bang up my beloved '96 ZZR1100, now none of the damage i inflicted was enough to put the bike out of comission however a bit of gaff tape was required to hold an indicator in. My question for you guys is;

Is there any relatively effective way to patch up cracked panels in my fairing. I've heard that you can use a soldering iron to melt along the crack lines from behind the panels and this can stop the plastic from cracking further...but if anyone knows a better way please let me know!

And this goes out to other Z riders...are there any fairing kits available to be shipped to australia for the ZZR 1100's? the best i found was a yank outfit that only shipped within thier borders...

Please help! Its a beautiful bike and i'd love to see it looking its best again.
  2. After I had a low speed drop on my zzr1100 , my fairing cracked around mirror mount and headlight.

Read somewhere that someone used a product from Permatex called Cold Weld.

Mixes up the same as araldite does , and can be sanded back after applying. When it has hardened , it is as strong as the original fairing material.

I made like a "v" along the length of the cracks so that the filler has an area with which to bond.

Found it at an auto parts shop (Supercrap Auto).