Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

zzr-250 won't start battery or alternator -noob question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cptnrickstar, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I have a '94 ZZR-250, Recently went to start it and it was dead :cry:. First time in 7 months (since i brought the bike) I examined the battery and there was low /no level water in the battery cells. I placed distilled water and filled it up, then I push started the bike and went for a 2 hour ride (in hope it would charge) It started 2-3 days later (fine) and now 4 days after that it is dead again.
    Would this be an alternator issue not charging the battery or a useless battery? I can borrow a battery charger from someone, would this save the battery ?
    What can I do to determine the problem?! I hope it is not alternator? is there a way to see if the alternator is doing its job.

Thanks in advance!! :grin:

2. A alternator usually can't charge the battery as well as a battery charger. My advice is get the battery charged. If it dies on you again maybe consider getting a new one and for convenience sake get a sealed no-maintenance battery.

My battery tends to lose charge if i leave it alone for two weeks.
  3. may have cooked the battery.
    if u have a voltmeter run the bike and test the voltage u should get around 12 to 14 volts if the charging system is working properly. give her a rev and see if the voltage spikes higher than 14 volts then your regulator is farked if its lower than 12v your alt may be the problem.

good luck.
  4. Bung regulator may have boiled the battery dry. Check the running voltage using a multimeter after you replace the battery.
  5. Hey guys thanks for the replies. I have just brought a voltmeter from ebay, once it comes in I will do the testing to see what volts it is at. I'll keep you all posted.
  6. I spoke to a guy at the local bike shop and he said to push start the bike, get it going.. Then take it to a brick wall at night while idling, Give it a little rev to 2k-3kRPM and if the headlights brighten then your alternator is working fine. I have done this and the lights brightened up. So I am going tomorrow or Thursday to get a new battery. I got quoted $75.00 for a battery. Is there anywhere to shop for it at a cheaper price or a recommended brand? hopefully maintenance free.
  7. still might be over charging, go see the bloke that helped u for the new battery and ask if they can test it.
  8. battery

Hi All,
    I ended up buying a new battery and they guy recommended getting a charger 3 stage which I brought for $45dollars. Something like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BATTERY-FIGH...yZ102807QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The guy said this can keep the battery charged if it is not being used regulary and once it hits the charge amount it will go to float mode.
    Other he said I would be back every 6-12months replacing the battery?
    I don't know if he upsold me but I paid $55 for the battery and $45 for the charger. $100.00 in total. But I hooked up a connection to the battery so it just plugs in, I hope this would help the life of the battery.
    How often and regulary would you say to use the charge? I might ride my bike once a week.