Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR 250 water pump

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by DaveKrackerz, Oct 21, 2015.

1. hey guys and gals, i am a very new person to this site so i am sorry if i am in wrong area.

I have a 2002 ZZR250, i recently came into some issues regarding my engine being full of water, by full i mean shit loads.
    i have pulled the engine down to replace haed gaskets and before i go any further i am trying to determine if water pump is stuffed.
    what i need to know is how do i Tell? visually pump and seals look fine, but is normal for the pump to spin freely or will it have some tension... not a lot but there is some tension when spinning the prop

2. Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. They will spin fairly freely, the impeller doesn't touch the outside of the pump casing. There are seals around the waterpump on that model that may also be a path between coolent and oil if they are perished. Not sure how large the drive shaft is for the pump but you may be able to get a battery drill on it and drive it to test if it can pump from a bucket of water. ?? Never done this but theoretically it may work. :)

When you get a chance go and post an intro thread in the Welcome lounge, it is the general custom around here.