Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZZR 250/GPX 250 Suspension stiffening?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Denelor, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Gday everyone long time watcher first time poster,

I currently own a zzr250 so my girlfriend can get her learners, and after trying it for an extended ride tonight, the suspension just doesnt cut it as is for 2 up riding..

Does anyone have any suggestions? from what i can tell the motor seems to have the power to handle 2 people, its just the suspensions too soft (even too soft for 1 person IMHO)

But then, i did ride a CBR600f (and still miss it)

2. If you want to stiffen up the suspenders, you need new springs.

GPX/ZZR's use a progressive rate spring... i.e. the springs get stiffer as they get more compressed.

You can't adjust the suspension settings on these bikes in their stock trim.

Good luck with it.

3. the rear spring height/preload can be adjusted. i had to do it on my zzr. Just like on most other bikes i am sure you have the locking nut and the adjusting nut. Just out of curiosity what year is the zzr.. Let me know how you go. if not ill ask my mate who actually done it for me.
  4. Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, i'm sure all the suspension on it is stock. It just a worry going around roundabouts while scraping the centrestand with the mrs on the back, I only bought it recently and spent a fortune getting it up to roadworthy standard, so im confident about everything on the bike, except for the electrics and the suspension. I also have a gpx manual, and while i know there are a few differences between the gpx and zzr, it does say that the suspension isnt adjustable :( so its all about the cheap effective improvisation really ;)

The ZZR250 was built in '94 but rego'ed in 95, so i think that makes it a 95..

Cheers guys
  5. I have a feeling the shock from a SV650 fitsand improves things but I'm not sure about spring rate. Maybe do a google search?
    I have a spare one if it will help. PM me
  6. http://forums.ninja250.org/
    Ive seen plenty of similar topics on here so check it out.

ZZR250 is never going to be that good for 2 up, but definatly stiffer springs are the way to go.

ZZR does have adjustable preload on the rear shock, they all do, unless someone has swaped it with a GPX one.
    See the cog thing on top of it?
    Take the rear wheel off and you can get to it.
    Still soft even on the top setting though.
  7. just a quick update, i stiffened up the rear preload, geez the rear shock is a pain to get to and it rides a helluva lot better.. now to drop in some heavier fork oil

Thanks for the help guys