Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZXR250C Mirrors a waste of time?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by lsldesign, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Hi Guys and Girls,

I've been riding now for about 2 and a half months. And have the pleasure of owning a Kawasaki ZXR 250C, its my pride and joy and I could chat about it for hours. But.... The mirrors on it are a joke! Either I’m doing something wrong or some crackpot at Kawasaki was having a wonderful time chuckling to himself when he decided where to mount the mirrors on this bike!

I must be doing something wrong, I’m getting sick of lifting my arm to see if there is a car following me or not! I am always worried the buggers are tailgating me.

I've read a few things here and there, and they all tell me I should be able to see half my arm in the edge of the mirror. But when I do this, if I am in the left lane I have to move to the extreme right of the lane to see a car behind me in my left mirror. And this is about when I can get the best view of any traffic in the right hand lane through the right mirror!

So,,,,

1) Is this the way its supposed to be?
    2) Am I doing something wrong?
    3) Am I supposed to be moving around in my lane so much just to see what’s going on behind me?
    4) Or was there really a giggling Crackpot at Kawasaki?

Any response appreciated.

2. Mirrors on those little sportsbikes are only there as a roadworthy complience thing. You're not doing anything wrong, it just wasn't anymore than an afterthought in the bikes design. :)

3. i dont seem to have that problem at all. maybe its just you mate

4. Lol, maybe your right. But if you dont have that problem, how do you line yours up?

5. I have the same probs with my ninja... takes a bit to line it up.

6. You have to move your arm or lean a bit to one side.

They definatly arent a waste of time. You weigh 250kg, the car coming up behind you weighs 2000kg and will cause you serious hurt :shock:

7. Most 250cc bikes are the same, they arent very wide and the mirrors dont work well.

I too used to lift my arm out to see between it and my torso.

The ZX6R was excellent. The V-Twins that I've owned are the same as the 250's hopeless.

8. At least your mirrors aren't on little teency stalks so when you eventually do get your arm out of the way to see behind you... all you get is vibration!
    I swear, atleast once a week i think i see a blue light flicker in my mirror, pack a darkie, start to slow down and pull over only to find it was a billboard or a shop sign!

Also, with the size of the mirrors on my bike, i find i spend most of my time bobbing my head around to scope out the necessary angles. Must be amusing for the motorists when i'm changing lanes frequently.

9. My ZXR is the same mate, I tuck my elbow to my side to see whats behind me. Just live with it :)

10. Little 250s are designed originally for the Asian market where the riders are half the size of the average Aussie rider. I don't know what the answer is, but most all of my bikes have been nakeds and their mirrors have all been OK, so it might have something to do with the sports-bike template as well..