Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hyper24, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Need some advice on a ZXR250 with 29,XXX ks

https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15079 This one to be specific.

Says has had major service done recently, so big positive there.

But just wonder if these bikes have any commons problems once hit 30 thousand Ks plus.

If i do get this bike and say get it to 50,000 (with regular services etc)
    Would I be looking at any major probs?

I think this bike is the one for me.
  2. that bike seems to be in mint condition, definately worth the money.

if i could, id buy it straight away :(
  3. And i hoep it is, i really have my heart set on it now.

All depends on how things go, but im wondering what im going to be in for with these bike if i put another 20,000 ks on the clock.

Im guessing im going to need a rebuild by 50,000 ks?
  4. Nothing will need rebuilt if it's been looked after well (plenty of oil changes!).

There's always plenty of discussion on this forum about how many km's are too many, and there's not really a definitive answer. Most would rather pay more for a bike with high km's that's been regularly serviced, than for a bike with low km's that hasn't been looked after.

Consumable parts (e.g. head and wheel bearings, fork oil and seals) will likely need replacing well before the engine.

Looks pretty good to me, but then looks can be deceiving! Take someone to check it out that knows what to look for if you have any doubts.
  5. First thing that went on mine was the cam chain. My one got loose, and then ground a huge groove in the rocker cover head.
  6. How many K's did yours have when that happended 4angus?
  7. 30,000km's isnt anything to even blink at - consider the engine properly run in by now. :wink:
    60,000+ is when you might want to reconsider how many km's are on the engine as things start getting a little tired at that point. Above 80,000-90,0000 km's and i'd be looking around for a replacement engine.
  8. Yeah, thats what i was thinking, just always like getting confirmation about these things.

If it was an RGV with 30,000 ks then I should be worried yes?

As I can find RGV for the same price, but same K's, and i dont think a 2 strok with that many K's is a good idea, correct?

At 30,000 ks on the 4 strokes I should be keeping an eye out for cam chain yes?

The seller assures me its been looked after regiously and I believe him so I really hope i can get my hands on this bike.
  9. I've seen better :LOL:
  10. what's so laughable about it? looks fine to me from the outside at least.
  11. I've been enquirying about his bike, and he is just protecting his bike which is very nice, except for the distance. I would rather buy a bike 20 to 30mins away than 2 hours.
  12. So what do we think :? .

I am a bit touchy that it is a 1993 model. (but then Sumoto sells them).

From reading previous posts it seems that 30,000k is alright but I am not sure.
  13. Where u the one who brought it ??
  14. I sent the guy who has the ZXR250 for sale an email, this is the response;

Hi Tim,

No service record on the bike, I can only account for my ownership at
    25,000km to its current mileage. I have done a recent service and the bike
    is in good condition.

The bike gear is a separate thing and I can sell the bike without it if you
    wish however this is a cash sale only and due to the bike's worth, there is
    no negotiation on the asking price.

For security reasons, I'd have to meet you in person and see your mechanic's
    credentials before I'd consider allowing anyone to do an inspection on the

If you would like further details or a test ride, you can contact me on my

The bikes worth come on mate, and cash only?
  15. Walk away dude. If he's that rude to someone who wants to give him money then he's prolly going to be more hassle than it's worth.

There are plenty of great bikes out there, there's no need to deal with arrogant w*nkers to find them...
  16. got one word..................DODGY!!!! watch out for these kind of people.
    search around mate and ill bet you can find a better one
  17. Yeah I know, I'm not going to have anything to do with him. It was the first email that I sent, so it wasn't like I was annoying him.

Also non neg. & about the mechanic, this guy is mega dodgy.

The bike has been forsale for a while and know I know why.

Ps its proberbly stolen