Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZXR250 C 1989 vs CBR250 1989

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by GreenNinja, Apr 5, 2007.

1. I've got a ZXR250 C, had it for about 4 months and I have ridden 4 different CBRs and they feel very similar.

I don't want to get into the specifications of the bike.

Here are my comparisons for the bikes listed in categories

Speed: CBR faster

I've only ridden one ZXR (so i don't know if my needs a carby tune, but i'm due for one), for speed the CBR beats my ZXR on more then one occasion.

Handling: ZXR

The ZXR feels alot more stable and planted around corners no doubt, i lean alot more on a ZXR then a CBR simply because i'm alot more comfortable on it.

The CBRs throttle response is instant and can be jecky on corner exiting.

The ZXR feels alot "beefier" and "bigger". It does also feels heavier.

These are both great bikes, But for me the winner is the ZXR. The way the engine screams, it's stabilty and confidence it gives me around corners. How it looks, some people are very surprised when i tell them that it's a 89 model.

This is just my opion if you don't agree with me and have ridden both bikes I'd like to hear from you.

or if you have any questions I'd like to hear from you.

2. Hi can I ask you a few questions as I'm too lazy to find out myself.

How much does the Ninja weigh when dry? What RPM does it make its most power and what RPM does it Rev to?

Comparing the FZR to the CBR people say the FZR is slightly quicker due to the better performance off the line due to the EXUP valve below 10,000 rpm.

3. good review mate.

the 89 models you mentioned only had a few changes in their next model. the zx2r c model had comestic changes, lighter and still had the USD forks which i reckon where way ahead of their time.

cbr cosmetic changes, twin front disk and pretty much everything the same. they are more nimble than the zxr but the zxr are way more stable due to their suspension. as for speed, the c model zxr were actually faster but who gives a shit right? they both just 250s.

4. It redlines at 18000 to 20000 RPM same as the CBR, the dry weight for the 250 C model is 141kg which is lighter for the CBR, and 33 kw at 16000 RPM which is also more powerful than the CBR.

This are the specs for the C model.

I'm searching specs for my bike on net but can't seem to find, If you find it post the link please.

5. GreenNinja when you say 18,000 to 20,000 you mean the redline starts at 18,000 rpm?

Seems very similar to the FZR. The FZR is 141kg dry, redline at 18,500 rpm and makes its most power at 14,000 rpm.

Someone said the CBR redlines at 19,000 rpm?

6. Sorry just went to take a look at my bike in garage, It starts redlining at 19000rpm and cuts out at 21000 rpm.

Yeah the CBR is the same redlining starts at 19000 RPM

7. Don't forget reddlines do tend to change depending on year.