Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZXR250 airbox setup

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by MrWolf, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Hi all, im new to this site and new to road riding. I have bought two zxr250 kwakas, one is a 1988 and the other is a 1999, the '88 wont start, but i think i know why. I'd like to know if anyone has modded or know of a mod for the airbox for this bike? I'd like to change it to pod filters and create my own cold air induction mod to the fairings but looking at the air box setup i'm not so sure it can be done. Any help, links and ideas would be great
    I've always wanted one of these screamers since highschool days, fun toy to run around on! Lol

2. Congrats on getting the bikes. In the realm of performance improvement one of the first mistakes made is assuming the manufacturer didn’t know what they are doing. I can’t think of an area on the bike where this is more applicable than the airbox, unless there’s something fundamentally flawed with that particular model. If you are unsure, get it running as best you can (in stock form), dyno it, then do your mod and dyno again so you can quantify the improvement.
  3. AS above, the bikes are balanced well as they are, and any small change to one side effects the rest of the system.

In the case of what you want to do, it increases the air flow which changes the A/F ratio, from there you are going to need to tweak the jets/needles/floats etc.
  4. Thanks! I wont modify it then. But do you know where i can get a replacement air filter, current one is damaged and im really struggling to find a replacement. Even ebay come up with nothing
  5. If the plastic basket fine? you can just get some air filter foam and remake it.