Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

zxr intake system?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by outtalive, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I've been looking at some early 90's zxr750s as a potential upgrade bike, they look the business, have some impressive specs (a claimed 100 hp and 0-100 km/h in 3 seconds) and go for between $4000-$5000 great news for a poor guy like myself.

I'm curious about a feature on them though, those two plastic hoses that appear to go from the front fairing to the petrol tank. From memory I've only seen that on other ZXRs, are the pipes some sort of air intake?

2. yeah dude zx7r's are a sweet ride mines a 98. although since kawasaki didnt really do any major upgrade that i know of from 92 onwards i'm kinda pissed that i got it should have got a gixxer :D

the left pipe with the carbon fibre looking cover that runs from the front left faring hole to the left of the petrol tank is the air intake the other is just for show. i cant explain shit...

awe crap i just realised that the model your taking about is probably the one just before the 90's make over... as far as i know they are the air intake pipes. find a kwaka dealer www.kawasaki.com.au ring them and get an answer on the spot. i bet they love those kinds of useless phone calls, i know i dont :( i am a bastar.. :D

3. ZXR750's are such a bargain when it comes a good value sports bike. The '89 & '90's 'H's are getting on a bit now, in "91 & '92 there were two models; J (2 seater, slow engine) and K (flatslide Keihin carbs, close ratio box, single seater), then '93 to '95 was the L model (2 seater, faster engine) and M (same as K with better chassis), then in '96 the ZX7 started.

I raced a basically stock K model in '95, '96 & '97, it never let me down and it was good for 1.41's at the Island.

If you want any more info or you'd like me to come with you to look at any, no probs, just PM me.

4. Yep the older ones (ie the ZXR's) with the 'vacum-cleaner pipes' on the tank are FAKE :p

Still a great bike though, and you could always mod the sucker (WSB enclosed carbon air-box type thang) to actually use the pipes 8)

5.  Top