Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZXR 250 C 1998 Reserve Tank and Dip stick

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by lsldesign, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Hi Guys, Newbi rider here whos also a newbi to bikes all round. So Im learning heaps already and have made my first mistake, I brought a second hand, private sale bike with no manuals.

So i need some help and advise, Id be very grateful if someone could answer my questions.

I've got a 1998 ZXR250 C Model Kawasaki. Does anyone know the following-:

A: Where is the reserve fule tank? and do i have to fill it up? or does it overflow from the main tank?
    B: Is there supposed to be a dip stick or something for checking the oil?

Sorry! Real newbi questions I know, but i assume the position of both the reserve tank and the dip stick could be specific to my model of bike?

Any advice appreciated.

2. You probably don't have a dipstick, you might have a window where you can check the oil level.

The reserve fuel is part of your main tank, you don't need to fill it seperately, it draws fuel from lower in the tank when you switch to reserve.

3. When the bike starts to cough, splutter and slow down no matter how much throttle you give it, twist your fuel tap all 180 degrees and it will start drinking fuel from the reverve tank (Basically just the lower part of the petrol tank)

As far as i can tell, reserve is just a failsafe. When you start to run out of petrol you have to switch to reserve. This should tell your brain to find the nearest servo and fill up. (no fuel guage on most bikes)

On the right hand side of the bike there is a small round hole in your fairing, towards the back.
    You will need someone to hold the bike up vertical for you and probably a torch. If you look through the hole you should see a window with an oil level in there.

Its ok to buy a second hand bike with no manuals, you would be hard pressed to find a set of manuals for a zxr250 anyway. Theyre all imports here and if you did get a manual with the bike it would more than likely be in japanese anyway.

Congrats on the purchase, dont forget to lube the chain often, check adjustment blah blah blah :)

4. Thanks Guys. Your advice has helped heaps! I can relax a bit more now I know that there is oil in my bike and have a better understanding of how the fuel system works. :)

And adge82 you where right on the money! I found the oil window exactly where you said it would be! I haven't quite figured out how the level works yet though, as there is a mark just above the middle of the window but when I stand the bike up it looks like the oil raises above the window, but that might just be me not holding the bike upright properly. I'll have to see if the misses can give me a hand tonight to check it out properly.

Does anyone know if there is a separate window/oil reservoir for the gearbox or is it all contained in one?

But thanks for the help so far, I’m glad someone had the answers I needed and that I got a response so quickly! And no one called me a tool!

Thanks again

5. All contained in the same.
    Gearbox and engine are lubricated by the same engine... that's why motorcycle oil should ALWAYS be changed at regular intervals as it won't just be the gearbox you stuff, it'll be the engine aswell.

6. There should be 2 marks on the sight window. The one just below the top of the window is max and the lower one is min.

Make sure you check the oil level on flat ground and have the bike dead upright. Otherwise you won't get an accurate reading. :)

7. Welcome to the forum Isldesign,

Never worry about asking questions, we were all newbies at one stage or another, with the same questions. :)

8. I was worryed about no fuel gauge on the bike being a newbie.
    But i read my bike does around 350+km a tank.
    So each time you fill up ,reset KM trip meter at or before 300km {FOR MY BIKE} and refuel ,its to easy.