Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZXR 250 89 engine oil, what type

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Gunnitt, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey,

i wanted to know what type of engine oil should i use in my zxr250 89. I don't want this to get into a discussion about what brand but...... eg 10w40 what ever dats called.

thank you and i hope i explained it properly.
  2. and how many litres do i need?
  3. Grade: SE or SF
    Viscosity: SAE10W40
    Capacity: 2.6 Litres
  4. And another pointless post from me..

GO NINJA!!
  5. hey mate,

we've got similar class bikes.

you can use motul 5100; it's 10w50 - semi synthetic. it's also good because it's compatible with bikes that share oil for the gears and engine.
  6. yeah i was looking at getting mutol 5100 and shell VSX4 fully synthetic. but thats 15w40 Viscosity, is dat ok too?

the reason why i'm looking at dat because its fully synthetic. not throwing ur advice out the window of cuz bicep, just looking to c wat options i have.

and yes i am also a ninja too, "250ninjas" a GREEN NINJA!!!
  7. Gunnitt, the one I quoted was off the book... off course you can use something better.. :LOL:
  8. AKA gunnitt.

changed the oil and filter today easier than a car. thanks for ur help guyz and also i used motul 5100.
  9. ps, glad i changed it too, it was pretty dirty. :grin:
  10. to bring up an old thread..... i want a fresh debate :p haha as im on the same bike

i would assume that with our relatively warm weather in melbourne (VERY rarely dropping to zero and hiting quite high in summer) it would be better to use a 20w or atleast 15w. as far as the upper range, considering the high revving engine (redlined at 19000rpm) and our hot weather in summer i would assume a 50 would be best. so that means using a 20w50 seems ideal. The only problem i see here is the argument of a 20w40 having less synthetic polymer additives therefore leaving your enigne with more good old oil to lubricate it (would the extra high temp viscosity of a 20w50 be worth the extra polymers...?)

as for the mineral vs synthetic... im not really versed on oils etc but arent synthetics simply much more refined versions of the mineral stuff. Giving less unwanted crap and sludge to clog up the engine which could be especially problematic in a high reving engine..? Evidence is in the much longer service intervals available with synthetics due to minimised breakdown of the hydrocarbons.

So a final choice for the ideal oil would be a high grade Synthetic 20W50 with high flash point and zync % (high revvin engines) and low sulphur ash%??? :? (this is my assumption after flipping through and article explaining oils haha)

Anyone aggree/disagree? and if you do agree could you recommend an ideal oil (brand, name)

Cheers, Tom
  11. ps service manual for a zxr250c states SE SF SG grade 10w40 10w50 20w40 20w50 but that is info coming from many years ago for japan. i would like opinions specifically related to our climate and access to modern engine oils! :grin:
  12. I'd use Search Engine oil.................

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Pretty much. A mineral oil is made up of all sorts of stuff till it averages out to a certain viscosity - synthetics are made up only of that viscosity so they don't change over time (but cost more).
    The "best" oil grade to use is the one with the smallest viscosity range (far less additives). This means if you want the very best you should ideally run a winter oil and a summer oil - in which case no real point in bothering with synthetic anyway since it'd only be a waste of money. What oil you use is far, far less important than how often you change it and the filter - though definitely stay away from the really cheap, no-name brand stuff.
    Only way to really know what's working best is to have the oil analysed. Funny though that even though this only costs about 20 bucks it's extremely uncommon with private owners. Yet there's plenty of people willing to fork out many times that for pricey oils like Motul based on marketing and the assumption that'll work better than stuff costing half the price or less :? .
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.