Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZX6r at PI

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by resurrection, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Can anyone tell me if the standard gearing on my 1999 ZX6r will be ok for PI, or will I run out of steam on the straight?

Cheers,

2. Look, it's a bit of a silly rule of thumb, but most stock streets bikes (600-1000cc) I've heard about getting around PI either benefit from dropping 1 tooth at the front sprocket, or adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket (DON'T DO BOTH).

3. Use your standard gearing. Learn the track first.

4. Depends how fast you are coming on to the straight? If you're a really good rider you will exit turn 12 with lots of pace and yes you will run out of steam, but you had better be real quick through 12 for that to happen.

My 2c. (plus GST)

5. Exactly.

You wont run out of steam , thats the last thing you should be thinking about!! If you can top out in 6th then thats perfect !! :wink: Don't forget turn 1 though....

6. Standard gearing is usually designed to reach maximum power just before redline, while at maximum speed. You'll need a really good runup to do that. A lot of people benefit from gearing for better acceleration instead, just so as they can actually get up to speed fast enough. But start with standard, it's a pretty good all-rounder.

7. Thanks to all contributors.
    I'll save some money and go standard. :)

Cheers,