Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

zx6r 1989 - Should i bother?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by DarkHorse528, Apr 14, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Up to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I just got back from looking at a possible project bike.

It is a 1989 zx6r, with 14,xxx kms on it. (yes. i didn't believe it, but they are genuine.)

The guy i am buying it from is my best mates brother-in-law.

The bike has been sitting in his shed, "getting restored :roll: " for the last 6 years, and he bought it from a good friend of his who was also "restoring it :roll: "

Anyway, it has sat for to long and the battery is flat now, so he can't get it started. When he bought it, he rode it home from Maryborough (4 hours away) and reckons it didn't miss a beat. He wasn't allowed to push it passed 140 though as his wife was nervously following him home.

He has pulled of the whole fairing, bogged up some crack, sanded and primed it. Just needs the top few coats now.

I have a mate that does custom airbrushing and will give me an awesome price on it if i want.

The guy wants $1200 for the bike.

Anyway, my questions:

Should i bother restoring it for when i am unrestricted? (9 months, or sell early and buy something else.)
    Would i be looking at alot of work on the engine? (rings etc)
    Roughly how much would i be looking and what would be the best option for working the engine? (get a new one, reco, etc.)
    How much for a pair of yoshi pipes? (or cheaper ones)

Any other advise would be appreciated too, i will probably buy it tomorrow night, but need your advise first. Feel free to ask question if it will help my cause i need as much help as possible here. :?

Thanks guys!!

2. I'd get a compression check on the cylinders. If that comes back well then sure go for it. Otherwise it will be alot of effort.

3. Personally, I would say yes. But thats moreso because I love that era of kawasaki's shape.
    Not sure about the ZX6R, but eh, most of their bikes are pretty unkillable so assuming compression is ok I would jump at it.

What sort of damage was the fairing repaired from? Was the bike dropped and if so, was it light/heavy and was there frame damage?

4. I couldn't find any frame damage, bends or anything like that.
    I would have to assume that the bike was dropped at a slow speed, as one of the cans has very small, light scratches in it. The rest of the bike (engine, handlebars etc.) Were all very clean, no bends or scratches.

Just has gathered alot of dust and cobwebs.

5. If you don't mind having a fiddle, I would.
    Do you like the styling of it? Its around the same shape as the GPZ500/GPX250 ect, is it your cup of tea?
    If you prefer the newer styling, I would go for that. Theres no point getting the older one if you dislike it. (I personally love it, and the GSXF Suzi's, gogo teapot power!)

Dust and cobwebs are easy to fix, Sounds like a good project bike assuming the engine is in good condition. When it was put in storage, was it sealed up well? Or were the inlets/exhaust left open? After such a long break I think it would probably need a rebuild anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

6. Looking at some examples on the internet, i am really starting to like them, but before that i wasn't sure. I currently have a 96 GPX250, and it is very similar to that.

Storage wise, it was left in the rain or anything, but it was a typical "couldn't be bothered" restoration. Been sitting in the same position as when he was working on it, 4 1/2 years ago. No cover, nothing. Lost and lost of dust. :LOL:

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, he put brand new rubber on it, still has all the nipple thingys :)lol: ) on both tyres. :LOL:

7. Minimum; two tyres, battery, fix up fairing, paint, full service plus rego. More than likely; fork seals, cables, bearings etc

Pleny of 80's running bikes with rego for ~ $3K

So you might save ~$500 but do get the fun of fixing up your own bike

8. Yes
    33%
    33% [ 1 ]
    No
    33%
    33% [ 1 ]
    Up to you
    33%
    33% [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 3

Dammit, who made it a hung vote? :LOL:

I am seriously thinking about getting this bike, but it all depends on what you guys think. Not knowing alot about restoring bikes, i need a little guidance here!

I can get custom airbrushing done it for 500
    It has new tyres.
    Fairing is in perfect condition, just needs paint.

Any ideas what the other stuff costs?
    Price of a new exhaust system? Not particularly bothered about brand or anything, just has to sound nice.

9. +1 for a basic mechanical check and if its sound then buy it. You wont lose much if anything if you change your mind down the track and sell it again.

Sounds like a good opportunity to learn a bit more about bikes and have something good at the end of it.

If there was something major wrong with it then its probably not worth spending a lot of money and you could just sell it and cut your losses but it sounds like it could be a good thing.

10. Engines on most Japanese bikes are usually the least of your concerns, and by the sounds of it the one in this particular bike seems pretty good (though still be an idea to get it checked out). It's the "little things" like rubber seals, brake components, bearings, suspension, rust etc. that are probably more likely to cause problems if the bike's been sitting for a long time.
    Given you've got a fair bit of time I reckon go for it. The price certainly seems good and it shouldn't cost much to get it in good condition if you do the work yourself. This thread might give you a bit of an idea of what to expect ;):
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45458

11. Ugh, well thanks a tonne for your help guys, but the mrs says NO!

It doesn't LOOK good enough for her.. Too much work she says!!

Now looking at a 83' GPZ250. At least i'll be able to test ride it when done..

Don't know much about the bike other than it's cheap. Shall do some research now. :idea: