Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZX6 Streetfighter

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by BlueRex, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Hi

Due to busting up my fairing, i am changing my 96 zx6 into a street fighter. So far just planning on mounting a single round headlight and mount on the forks but for the life of me i can not find size of the fork tubes to ensure i get the correct mounting bracket.

Does anyone know?

2. Has it got ram air? If so you're gonna need to do some airbox hacks.
  3. I've got universal ones on mine they just supply you with a few different thickness rubber strips to suit the diameter of the tube, they'll sell them a most bike shops.
    Or just go down to the bike shop and borrow a set of vernier calipers and measure it, or cut out a notch from a piece of cardboard to fit snugly over the width of the tubes then measure the cardboard, or wrap a piece of string around the tube, measure the length of the circumference then divide that total by 3.14 and you'll get your diameter. Hope one of these helps.
  4. Where did you get yours from?
  5. The ones i have on my current bike are Tomaselli but i'm not sure where to get them, maybe "Steine Deinse" but the ones i was talking about are these
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOTORCYCLE-H...hash=item370103704734&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177 but this guy doesn't supply the rubbers by the looks of it. The ones i got for my other bike are like that and i think the brand is MCS (much cheaper than the ebay guy) I got them from the local wreckers (Independent motorcycle wreckers 0746321848 Toowoomba) also someone like these guys may have what you are after. http://ausfr.com.au/

6. Little tip for all you financially tight budding fighters, for fork mounts for your headlights use P rubber retaining clamps, avaliable from your local boating supply store. Cost should be as little as $4 for a clamp, i would suggest to get 4 (2 on both sides) depending on application. These clamps are just as good and in some cases better than bike specific clamps as the rubber is already designed into the clamps, clamp sizes are avaliable for all fork sizes, though any larger than 45mm may need to be specially ordered in depending on the range of your store.
  7. While we're on the low cost angle, what about a nice twin headlight set to go with those cheap brackets???? Thinking about just two simple billet headlights but haven't researched quality V cost as yet....
  8. Unfortunitly i sold a cheap set in June, checkout euro ebay and US ebay, more so the euro ebay as you need E - marked headlights to be legal, if your not so interested in legalities then there are some cheap sets on US ebay just watch the exchange rate when ordering. (also the sets on US and some euro will be right hand drive beams)

If not you can make some out of projector lights for 4X4 they are cheap and even some have the e-mark but are as the name suggests they are projected lights and dont really provide a direct beam and are not that great at night. Check out REPCO / Supercheap / Autobarn or your closest 4X4 accessories store. Should be about $30 - $80 maybe more if you want to actually see at night. Get one driving light and one high beam (projected) light and make sure they are e-marked and you should be set to go.

And on the note of cheap fighter gear, try led trailor tail lights for fighter tail lights or those relatively cheap tail lights + number plate brackets from Ben at Extreme Creations.
  9. Cheers Lurker. Got the engine back in the frame last night after a complete rebuild. It even looks like a motorcycle now....