Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZX2R wont start. Vacuum line problem?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Laharl, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

Just wanted some advice. Was away and hadn't ridden my bike in a month or so, so wouldn't start when i came back. Changed the battery and she started fine, but then she died out after a couple of minutes turning over. Kept conking out when i started it again. When i checked under again, my vacuum line wasn't on properly (explains why it conked out).

Problem is that now it wont start at all (line on correctly - unleaded not diesel bike). Any advice? It doesn't seem like the battery, and it would seem pretty spot on that the problem was an unsealed vacuum line, but no idea how to fix what i've busted :(

Thanks in advance
  2. Pull the feed line off the tap (the line to the carbs), attach another piece of hose to the vacuum port of the tap long enough to wrap your lips around and suck on it. There is no requirement to able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose here -and the fuel should flow from the tap.
    Next test is when you have produced a vacuum in the fuel tap, stick your tongue over the end of the hose to seal it. If the vacuum disappears, you have found your problem. Replace the diaphram in the tap. If the vacuum remains for a minute or so and no fuel flows, start with the basics. Check there actually is fuel in the tank. Try the reserve position on the tap. If you have fuel then I wuld suggest removing the tap & checking for restrictions/crap blocking the tap. A lot of Hondas have a fine gauze mesh built into the tap assembly. Check that if yours is the same. While you're that far into it I would drain the fuel out of the tank and give it a bit of a shake to see if you have any rattles emenating from inside. Could be rust flakes or any other unknowns that should not be in there. If everythings checks out fine, then I would start looking else where down stream of the tap. Fuel filters yadda yadda yadda.

PS before you try anything, undo the drain screws in the bottom of the carbs & see if you get a decent flow of fuel from there.
  3. What he said.

In simpler terms, the vacuum hose controls the flow of fuel from the fuel-tap.

No hose means no fuel. Connect it back on and switch your tap to PRI. Wait 5 and start bike. Return tap to ON.
  4. Hmmm bummer. The vacumm line seems ok, but she still won't start. I must be missing something. All connected, bike tries to start but won't fully turn over. Battery is charged too (thought the new battery might have run out of puff but it's charged now). Hmmm this is the limit of my skills. Anyone know a mobile motorcycle mechanic or cheap group who will cart my bike around? Probably only needs to go 30 mins at most. (Problem with imports, most places won't work on them)

*Thanks for the help btw guys*