Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZX2R Won't run when warmed up.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by icuimp, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hey guys!

A mate of mine just bought one of these and we are running into a bit of a problem...

Damn thing won't go when warm!!!

Originally thought it was something to do with the carbs as it was running rough to start with.

Cleaned them out and it now runs and idles smooth and starts first go.

That is of course till it warms up...

I then thought perhaps a fuel delivery issue (Acted like it ran out of fuel) so hooked a fuel pump up to it and still no luck.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh and can someone identify this for me please?
    http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4761/20100914001.jpg

The thing with the cooling fins.

Thanks!

2. identify the metal thing with metal fins on it? If so that's your regulator/rectifier.

3. Ahhh.... That's what it is... Thanks for that!

Any idea on the problem with the bike not running?

4. Sounds like it's running lean, got enough fuel to run ok on startup, then it warms up & no go.

Check your pilot screws, most bikes are 2 - 2.5 turns out from closed, if you have workshop manual check that for the exact figure.

Hope that helps.

5. I'd bet a few dollars that some numpty saw the jets, got out a screwdriver, and 'tightened some bolts'.

6. The pilot screw has to be loose - you probably tightened it unknowingly when you cleaned the carbs

7. ....Starter motor issue??.....:-k

8. It STARTS
    It doesn't RUN when it has warmed up.
    It's definitely a lean run and as others suggested a screw
    Oh and LOSE THE IMAGE IN THE SIG Tweetster!

9. haha, nearly

10. After a few more hours of playing around seems to be an intermittent electrical issue. Not getting spark all the time when warm.

Time to get the multimeter out...