Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ZX10 Valve train noisy

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bugs, Aug 4, 2007.

1. I heard an 05 Ninja thou running today and the valve train sounded noisy to me... is that abnormal for one of these power plants?

2. kwakas always sound like WWIII
  3. :LOL:

Havn't heard WWIII but i'm sure I know what you mean. I heard a running 35 litre 12 cylinder engine get ripped out of an aircraft during a "heavy" landing on a carrier. Taxed the hell out of the 5.1 surround sound system.

A scene out of "The Battle of Midway" using military archive footage.

Hey Johnny,

My old KLX650 sounded like poetry in motion :shock: :shock: :shock:
  4. Well some sort of motion anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As to the ZX10, these are an older style engine so they tend to be a bit more noisy then expected.

At the same time, I'd be doing some valve clearances just to make sure. Cam chain can be another culprit.
  5. The ZX10 is a noisy engine. Very "tappety" if you will. You live with it. If you cant, sell the bike and get something else. Its just the way they are.
  6. ZX10 Noise

It has gotten a bit quieter. I think the auto cam chain adjuster ratchets... so the chain gets looser and looser (& noisier & noisier) until the ratchet reaches the next detent and adjusts... Then it is quieter???

APE makes a manual cam chain adjuster for the Ninja Thou. At this point it is quiet enough for me though. :)
  7. Chain tensioners are a Kawasaki annoyance. There are aftermarket, manual options for this problem.
    I have on on my GTR, it's that blue anodised thing on the side of the chain case area.
    You just tighten teh bolt till the noise just disappears, then tighten the locknut. Good for 10k kms at a pop:
    Kwakas also tend to get very noisy very quickly when valve clearances are even slightly out.

Regards, Andrew.