Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Zoolander Syndrome (Can't turn right)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by tunaranch, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ummm... I don't know how to put this... I've noticed that I can turn left a lot more adeptly than I can turn right. Any ideas why?

2. I used to be the same and I put it down to:

Left turns usually don't involve traffic coming the other way to put you off.

When you turn left, you only have sidewalk or grass or whatever under your lean.

When you turn right, you are leaning over towards the oncoming traffic, which can be a little daunting.

My 2 bobs.

3. Some people say that when you go left your left hand countersteers while your right controls the throttle, while when you turn right your right hand does both. Thus your brain has trouble controling the two actions.
    In other words your right hand can't do two things at once. :D

Never had too many problems though just takes practice and guts.

4. Do you mean turn or corner?

5. I had the same problem. I just felt less comfortable leaning into ride hand corners.

So i started conciously dropping my shoulder and weight shifting to the right before i reached the corner which caused me to lean back to the left to correct. But made right handers easier.

Now i don't have any problems. Except i've noticed as my confidence grow it is to the right that i lean a helluva a lot more into.

6. I know why it happens , its because you are right handed , am i right ? i am left handed and have the same problem with confidence but in the opposite direction even in a car on a dirt track turning left for me is harder to do comfortably than it is to turn right , i have always found this to be a problem even as a kid on dirt bikes, and have found now even to this day i am not as confident or quick around left handers than i am around right handers

7. When i was doing my licence training the instructor said that is was very common for people to find it harder to do a right turn compared to left. He thought it might have something to do with the trottle as well like what Fidelio said.

I just practiced a lot to try to compensate

8. I'm right handed and prefer right corners, go figure.

Justin.

9. I find it a lot easier to turn left. I think its about not leaning my head in front of oncoming traffic (on a right hander) and knowing that there is another lane's width of road available (well sort of) if I run wide on a left hander. My mechanic took one look at my tyres and said "you like the left handers don't you". I have never dragged my right peg. :(

10. Try this.

Next time you are going around a RH corner, have a look at where your head is. I used to find that in a RH corner, my head and therefore my vision would automatically drop. I'd end up examining the white line in the middle of the road. That would then draw me to it creating two problems. The first being that my line is now getting closer and closer to the line and therefore not necessarily the best way around the corner. The second was that I was then dramatically closing down my vision, so that I was not looking at where I wanted to go. This narrowing of vision ends up becoming a real problem.

In LH bends, for all the reasons that others have mentioned (throttle control etc) I found my head would remain upright, I would maintain good vision and not have things surprise me. LH bends became my friend.

When I realised what I was doing, that was all that I changed. And suddently, RH corners became ok. Sure, I still like LH bends, but my speed is the same through either and my confidence is the same too.

Just a (long) thought.

11. I always have preferred right cornering than left.

I have never understood why, just accepted it and concentrate a lot harder when doing left corners.

12. Perhaps you're a goofy foot like myself. Do you waterski, surf or skate etc with your right foot forward. This would make 'Left' your frontside turn, therefore more comfortable. Most people will find righthand turns easier. :wink:

There are benefits to being different. Forinstance, Pipeline breaks left. :cool: Mind you, if you don't surf that won't be any comfort. :? :grin:

13. Just to be different, I've never noticed any difference when cornering but I do find tight, low speed, U-turns marginally easier to on the right. I always assumed it was just a lack of practice because I never really have much need for performing them to the left - maybe it's more than that? Maybe controlling the throttle when it closer to your body is significantly easier?

14. \:D/
    I know exactly how you feel. Ive been riding for 5 years and I still prefer lefts to rights.

If your going slow, try turning your head to the right as far as possible and look through the corner.

On longer bends when your going a bit quicker, try the same thing, or if you cant manage that... watch the line in the middle of the road and use that as a guideline.

These work for me, but you might wanna try your own thing.

Good luck.

dje :grin:

15. Quite insightful. I'll try some of these tips.

I've never surfed/skated, so I don't know if I'm a goofy foot or not.

But I am right handed...

16. Yeah, I think the goofy foot example sums it up best.

Go back to your days riding a BMX bike, no throttle( for the doing two things at once theorists), yet you still are usually able to powerslide better on one side than you can the other.

One other thing that can affect this is wheel alignment, if your back wheel is out a bit, one side will be harder to drop into than the other.

17. Out in the twisties, right handers are harder for the following reasons:

- Adopting a correct line means you have to stay over on the eft-hand white line for as long as possible before turning in hard. This makes you nervous because there's often a gravel shoulder and your instincts scream at you that you're going to run off the road.

- Most people (myself included) turn in way too early on a right hander, because they're too nervous to stay wide until they can see through the corner. Turning in early almost always means that you end up apexing early, hanging your head over the white line and into the path of oncoming traffic, and once that's happened, you're a lot more likely to run wide on the exit as well, as you've taken a bad line.

I don't know that there's any way to combat right-hander confidence levels except getting out in the twisties regularly, and forcing yourself stay out wide to the left until you can see through the corner.

If that means going at a slower pace through righties until you've got it sorted out, then so be it, it has to become second nature.

Go ride with Glitch sometime, his lines are spot on and I've found riding behind him gets my eye in nicely.

18. When i went for my learners, they told me that it feels more "Un-natural" to turn off to the right, and went on about something to do with how our right side is stronger, so if our left side is pushing (Fighting, turning, pulling) against our right, it doesnt feel natural..

(Did that all sound like Bollocks????)

I understand anyway.. thats all that matters..

Matty j

19. It's interesting reading people talking about issues with rights because of the controls and throttle.
    I think my reason for not liking rights is because of the positioning of my breaking foot.

It doesn't let me comfortably get the knee out and still maintain preparation if I need a little squeeze on the rears.

20. :shock: There are so many ideas there why people are better on some corners than others.

:?: I was told by an instructor at Rider Brothers that you are better at one type of corner (left or right), depending on whether you are left or right eye dominate. I argued this point, because I am definitely right eye dominate, years of using a rifle taught me that. So he said I should be naturally better at rights.

He was wrong, I am much better at lefts than rights (he even admitted it when he saw me on the track).

Over time, I have taught myself to shift in the saddle more and move my head off the centre line of the bike to look through right corners. I don't seem to have any problems now after working on it, but there is the odd right corner where I get a bit of fear, realise it and re-adjust my position.

Good luck.