Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Zip broke on motorcycle boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by WantFreedom, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,

So just a minute ago had the bike out warming up ready to go for a bit of a nice evening cruise put my boots on pull my zip up and the dam things comes straight off grrrrr.

Looking at the zip seems the little metal stops at the top of the zip have come off somehow which has caused the zip to come off.

I purchased these boots back in February from Bikers Gear Australia - BGA Waterproof Touring Motorcycle Leather Boot the boots are still in great condition so just need the zip fixed.

I have tried to get the zip back on but no luck should I

Take them back to Bikers Gear Australia and ask them to fix? should they be fixed free ? or I need to pay ?
    Take them to a shop that can fix the zip ?

Not sure the best way to go but seeing as I only have one pair of boots I want to get them fixed asap so I can ride :)

Thanks zip.
  2. Just use the velcro strips to close the boot. They are as strong as the flimsy plastic zips.
  3. take them back
    he will fix them on the spot
  4. So long as you don't put up post with this much detail when you can't get your fly zip up, I'll be happy
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. nah he pms me for that
  6. Trust me 50shades if I did it would be a very big post lol :p

UG - Ill take them down tomorrow seeing they are open Sundays see what they say hope they fix them on the spot :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If all else fails, a proper cobbler (not just a heel and key guy) will be able to put in a much higher quality zip for surprisingly little money. Such craftsmen are getting rare but most cities seem to still have at least one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bikers Gear has a 12 month warranty. They'll fix it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Don't think he's open Sunday at Ferntree Gully, only Phillip Island (I think).
  10. Website says his open Ill go down have a look good thing for me his like 2 minutes from my place :)

Bikers Gear Australia® – Melbourne Store

Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm, Saturday and Sunday 9.00am to 2.00pm
  11. Ok cool. Good to know. Never used to be.
  12. Bear in mind that a fix under warranty will get you another of the same crappy zips that broke after less than a year. A fix by a proper repairer, even if you have to pay for it, will (probably) get you a zip that will last the life of the boot.
  13. I'm on my third pair of bikers gear boots, I've found that the soles wear out before the zips.

You get what you pay for, mine are replaced at about 18 months of every day use.
  14. I'm still on the first pair of boots I bought. Short Alpinestars (the only boots I could find at the time that would fit my fat ankles). Zip tabs broke, but I just use split rings instead. Think I got my money's worth out of them, 5-6 years later.
  15. What he said...

You have a cheap boot with a cheap plastic zip.......a warranty replacement will not change the quality

There is such a proper cobbler in Oakleigh near the market entrance. He has replaced more than a few zips for me over the years.
  16. go for the free replacement, if you haven't suffered the same issue with your previous boots then its more than likely a faulty zipper.

that can happen no matter what the brand
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Took it done this morning they will fix it up for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. We can fix zips at Australian Canvas Co. We can reprofile the runner if the zip is opening up behind it, or replace the runner if it's damaged or worn out.
    Unfortunately we can't replace complete zips on boots though.
    Our machines are too big for that, but we can replace them on all other types of gear.
    • Informative Informative x 1