Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

YZFR15 V2 vs Ninjas

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Danhendo888, Apr 22, 2014.

1. just some thoughts.. So i've just got my L's and am planning to buy my first bike and have browsed bikesales among other sites to get a guide on learner bike prices.

The Yamaha YZF R15 brand new costs $4,000 which seems pretty reasonable and among the cheapest new learner bikes.
    I've noticed that some people are selling their used ninja's (250 and 300s) on bikesales for almost this much (for kms ranging from 1000 - 15000kms).

And so naturally i thought i might as well get a new bike for this price range which only the YZFR15 fits.

anyway it seems to me by the number of ads and the posts on youtube compared to other learner bikes, that the yzfr15 isn't really THAT popular..

i've come down to yzfr15 vs ninja 250 and i'm leaning towards the yamaha because its the cheaper bike... i don't see how one bike is "better" for me than the other, especially this early in my career in addition to the lack of biking knowledge i have at the moment, if any..

2. This is something that is very difficult to advise. I always recommend the most powerful and most comfortable bike that you are able to get. You alone control how much power you use. So I would recoomend the Ninja over the YZFR15. The Yamaha is a smaller bike, both physically and in engine. While the Ninja will cruise happily on the freeway, the Yamaha will be pretty much flat out. If you are a little larger in stature, the Yamaha may not even make freeway speeds (100 kph +). Some people are a bit more timid, and so would be well served by the 150. Others who are a bit more agressive will outgrow the Ninja in the first year and be wanting something larger sooner. You're not limited to 250cc any more, there are plenty of full sized LAMS bikes to choose from as well, and somehting like a CF Moto is good value to start on and you won't out frow it too soon. If you intend on any longer rides out in the country, definately go the bigger bike.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Well it's only a 150cc bike, so pretty small. If your just putting around the city that's probably fine. If you want to ride on the freeway, forget about it.

I think this bike does 0-100kmph in something like 13 seconds which is really slow. I recently bought my first bike and ended up with a GS500F. I'm only 3 months in and whilst I don't find it slow, I also don't find it fast. So if you do go with a 125 or 150cc expect to outgrow it in a month.

But for a new rider I know the R15 V2.0 does look good!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Go the ninja mate
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have owned the R15 V1 (some say better than V2) & for the price and sheer fact you only have it for 12 months its an awesome buy & frankly I loved the hell out of it. If you're not huge it HAPPILY humms along at 100+kph BUT due to high RPM at that speed ur limited to about 1hr max as ur legs will turn to jelly. 0-100 is jsut under 10 secs & you happily beat cars off the line everytime. Mine is for sale, pity ur in Sydney or i'd say come round and try it lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Danhendo may not be aiming for much freeway riding, but don't be fooled by the low power figures for the YZF-R15.

I'm over 100kg and I once rode mine more than 2000km in a day.

It was a great little bike and lots of fun around town too.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Depends on your riding style. If you are going to just cruise around the streets, sure go the 150. But if you plan on riding in groups or in the mountains, you will feel so inadequate. Everyone will just ride away from you, you will be just as quick in the corners eventually, after a year or more, but still be slow over the long run as it will be slow out of the corners.

When I first got on my 300, I thought it was enough power for a learner. But after a mere 3 weeks, I got used to the power and wanted more, more acceleration, more power up top.
    I could only imagine how lackluster a 150 would be after 3 weeks.
    Sure I now ride my 300 even harder in and out of corners but anything less and I would have been dissapointed in the buy. Remember, you have this bike for at least 15months, do you think the power of a 150 will still be suitable when your riding level goes up 3 levels?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 12kw v 29 kws , no comparison
  9. You guys may base it all on power but the R15 can hold the speed around the corner. In group rides I have never been left behind (not that taking it easy is a prob)
    In city riding u leave the 1000ccs behind as u can filter like a push bike. From my 150cc - 900cc move I find the 900 so dam boring around town...seriously corners I could almost knee down on the R15 are now almost upright on the 900... Forget being the fastest, learn with the basics and with the lack of power u are a complete different rider and read the traffic so much safer as instead of yeah ill hammer the gas if this dude gets closer now you will avoid the situation altogether.
    Purely my reasoning was $3600 brand spanking new... for 12months there was no way i was investing 5k in something else just to get it scratched....and as a learner it will.....by Jove it will
    • Like Like x 1
  10. As I said Jerry, if it's for city riding ONLY, go the 150. But anything else is obviously better for everything else outside the city. Not sure why you are comparing a 150 to a 900 but. I can flick my 300 around more than I've seen anyone on a 600 or higher. That's what smaller bikes do. OP is comparing a 250 or 300 to a 150 here.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Oh I'm in the same dilema as the OP as well! Personally, I want to get a Ducati M796 after i get my full license so from a cost point of view the yamaha seems like a better buy at $4200 where as the kawi is $7800. Spending nearly 8k on a bike means i'll probably stick with it for atleast 4 years or so as opposed to just 2 years if the investment is only 2/3 of the price.

another fact is how good the bike (ninja) is, the ninja is known to be a good competitor with the cbr500r and similar division of middle weight motorbikes and I classify that as an intermediate level motorcycle. Particularly because of its acceleration and performance near the top end. Hands down, the ninja 300 is one of the best under 600cc motorbikes out there right now. if you have previous riding experience and you have amazing road craft skills, id say go with the ninja coz its THat ggood.!
    but if you are a complete noob to motorcycles like I am, and have plans to get a new bike after the probationary period, then continue reading..

compared to that the yamaha is VERY forgiving and it has a very linear and a predictable acceleration and even if my right hand slips on the throttle, the bike doesnt really accelerate in a scary way for learners.. yamaha doesnt have as many safety features as the kawi like slipper clutch or abs but with a bike that tiny, you really dont need all that gear. and atleast till i get some road craft skills, i dont think i'll take the bike to the freeway yet. and under 90kmph, the yamaha performs really well and it turns like a boss! its so light, has a little bit of an R6 lean which will get some getting used to...but looks amazing and i asked a lady friend to see which looks better between the yamaha and the kawasaki, and she said yamaha. It might not pack all that much firepower, but it is possible to look awesome while learning on a completely intimidation free bike with the R15.

My advice to you OP, is define how you are going to ride. if you establish these parameters then you can narrow down to what type of moto youre gonna be happy with.