Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

YZF1000 As First Bike ... Too Adventurous?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Bennett, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Currently in the process of looking for a first bike. Initially had decided that a mid-sized bike would be sensible but when I was asking at a dealer to look at some YZF600's that were advertised (both had recently just sold) he suggested looking at a litre version he had available.

I figured a litre bike might be too much as a first bike but he didn't seem to think so if riding sensibly. Whilst I do consider myself 'sensible' on the road I also realise I'm lacking a wad of experience.

So what do you guys think? Is it too much to jump on a 1000 as your first bike? Of course, I realise it's not just the capacity either since some of those 600's can be rather toey .... ;)

Oh, and FYI, the bike I'm looking at is a 1997 YZF1000 Thunderace. Rather nice looking bike, 40K on the clock and in pretty good condition. Might give it a test ride though the week. :)

2. Depends how sensible your wrist is, it's going to be pretty hard not to succumb to temptation on a weapon like a thunderace.

3. Doh! got there by a bees whisker Marty, maybe those VFR's aren't so slow after all.

4. First bike?!? You don't have to ride a 250 or similar first?
    Well I would say yes too adventurous. But then I don't know your profile. You could be a priest who would only use it to go to the church
    on Sundays or you could be a roadie in a rock and roll band who would
    use it to do quick bourbon runs to the bottle shop for the band.

I guess you know yourself best. Just beware if your not used to
    massive amounts of power and acceleration on two wheels this will
    end up biting you real hard. One of the reasons motorcycle fatalities have been climbing over recent years is because of the 35-45 year
    olds who road when they were young. Come in to some cash, buy a
    1 litre rocket and wipe themselves out on the first bend they come to.

5. [quote="Seanus
    First bike?!? You don't have to ride a 250 or similar first?
    Well I would say yes too adventurous. But then I don't know your profile. You could be a priest who would only use it to go to the church
    on Sundays or you could be a roadie in a rock and roll band who would
    use it to do quick bourbon runs to the bottle shop for the band.

I guess you know yourself best. Just beware if your not used to
    massive amounts of power and acceleration on two wheels this will
    end up biting you real hard. One of the reasons motorcycle fatalities have been climbing over recent years is because of the 35-45 year
    olds who road when they were young. Come in to some cash, buy a
    1 litre rocket and wipe themselves out on the first bend they come to.[/quote]

I'm in this camp. Get comfortable with something a bit smaller which you can handle with the throttle wound round to its stops and have a lot of fun with before you get to something which can do Warp Factor 10 standing still.

6. Have you done a riding course recently? If not I'd suggest you do a course using one of thier bikes. That should give you an indication if you are confident enough to entertain the idea of a litre bike.

I had 2 years off bikes and got the CBR1000RR and it took me a few months to rebuild the confidence and skills back up to an acceptable level. It can be done but takes a whole lot of self control and dedication to rebuild with laying the bigger bike down. I definately would NOT recommend it for everyone and probably would like to see people err on the side of caution if there is any doubt.

7. Bennet I'd say no. A non sporty 600 would be about as far as I'd suggest going for a first bike.

Besides... all states either have 250 restrictions or the Leaner Approved Motorcycle program (which is bikes of around 600 cc with limited power output).

If you are suggesting riding a 1000cc bike without an appropriate licence on a regular basis then I'd have to say Don't Do It.

8. If Qride alows an unlimited bike and power size then Qride is a problem looking for an accident :)

9. qride does teach you alot more than our processes do. i wouldn't say that its really enough to let ppls on ANY bike they want, but it is a LOT more comprehensive than down here. to get an unrestricted licence using qride, you have to have held a full car licence for 3 consecutive years aswell i beleive, so its not like you come straight out of high school and onto a superbike, you do have to learn the ropes a little first.

still, i reckon a thunderace might be a bit much for a first bike, ESPECIALLY if you've got bugger all previous experience. try the little brother (thundercat) or something similar first. dont be fooled into thinking that you need 1000cc to have fun, the 600s that are out there at the moment are FUGGIN INSANE :shock: :LOL:

and just remember this one too: its more fun riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. i reckon learn how to thrash the guts out of a smaller bike before you step into the litreclass and bore yourself half to death. even a 600 can be boring when travelling at the speed limits. aint nothing like revving the guts out of a 250 and changing gears 3 or 4 times before hitting 100kph. you wont get that on a thunderace :D

10. Thanks for the advice all. Just on some points raised, I did do the QRide course here about 3 weeks ago on a CB600. And as was mentioned, here in Qld we can obtain an unrestricted open motorcycle licence if you've held an open car licence for three years within a five year period. I've been driving for 13 years now so understanding road rules and knowing the ridiculous things people do on the road ain't so much a problem. Of course, I totally understand that riding a bike is a whole different kettle of fish. :)

Anyhoo, the original plan was to look at a mid-sized sports tourer but it was only when this dealer and a couple of others said that I shouldn't rule out a litre bike that I started to look outside of that mid-sized range.

Nevertheless, I agree with many of the comments above. I certainly ain't a roadie nor am I a priest. However, that probably puts me in a class where there'd come a time where I would wanna open the throttle. :)

I think I'll stick to the original game plan and look for a mid-size. Was really keen on trying out the Thundercat but alas they'd both sold. Oh well, there is no rush ... just don't wanna leave it too long since I'd have to learn how to ride a bike all over again. ;)

Thanks again. :)

11. well depends what you're looking for. I did consider the thunderace as a first big bike but I bought a thundercat instead :D

I found out the cat to be pretty damn fast on the road... at any legal speed it's fair game against most litre bikes. and through the twisties .. less weight, less worries about losing traction from over-powering etc, not to mention more comfy and cheaper to run/maintain.