Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

You've Heard It A Hundred Times Before

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Makybe05, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hey,
    I know everyones heard this a hundred times before here goes anyway...
    Currently looking to buy a bike on my L's, Only 16 so i don't have the money to buy something like a CBR 250RR or something like that, just looking for something on my L's to ride, basically to get around town. I'd probably have a budget of under 3 grand, so maybe something like a gpx250? Just wondering what you think? What model that i would be able to purchase under the $3000 mark.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I managed to get a late 92 model GPX from a dealer for $2500. Just keep on scouring BikePoint, BikeSales, Trading Post etc, something will pop up.
  3. Maybe not in Wagga Wagga though. You might find you have to look further afield.
  4. GPX is spot on, they're top little bikes.
  5. Yep probably Canberra or somewhere, thats not too far away. Its annoying living in Wagga none of the stores in Wagga stock any of the major 'big' brands for jackets gloves etc.
  6. You might get a spada for the $3k mark. my girlfriends brother got a gpx 2001 model, 37,000km for $3100. its not working at the moment, i think it just needs new plugs but, i didnt have my spark plug tool when i was looking at it last. you would get an older CB250 with little ks on the clock for that price, but reliability is programed into them well over "fun factor"

7. yeah a cb or a spada would be a good naked learning bike, easier to manouver. gpx good choice for a sporty one. zzr's are nice and comfy too!!
  8. Suzuki GN250

Unglamourous, cheap, reliable, ideal learner bike. there is nothing better to learn to ride on, itll do thousands of miles without skipping a beat and is a perfect about-town commuter.
    you can get a sports bike after youve learned not to throw it down the road.[/b]
  9. my mate picked up a 95 suzuki accross for $3200, he has owned it now for 6 months and nothings gone wrong with it so far. just keep looking and dont buy the 1st thing u see. unless it is an umbeleivable deal.
  10. How much have you set aside for riding gear?
    Subtract that from your bike fund.
  11. Need at least a minimum of:

Steel cap boots $50
    Helmet $150
    Dririder jacket $100
    Plastic Pants $30

You can spend more to be cooler or to get better quality gear, but they're minimums and even that will need luck.

So You'll probably have about $2500 to spend.

GN250 is a damn good little bike. You'd get an early virago for that $$$, maybe a CB250, Z250C, GSX250, GPX250, CB250RS, CBX250.

Plenty of options, so dont whinge if your bike isnt there..... :p

Dont touch a VT250 before the spada.....
  12. big fan of the GPX here!

2k can get u a reasonable bike, 3k a great one. look around and enjoy the ride :D
  13. The older the bike the more you will have to keep in your pocket for fixes in the first year. Subtract about 8 years from the bikes build date to get an idea of the original build quality in relation to cars.

e.g. a 92 model bike was built to a similar standard to an 84 model car.

Obviously there are a lot of variables but it will give you and idea.

As a side note, don't wear steel cap boots on a bike. A riding companion lost his toes that way.
  14. As an addendum to this - If you're going to buy cheap steelcap boots instead of proper $100-$200 motorbike boots, don't get the Blundstone-style boots with elasticated sides instead of laces.

Elasticated sides make it easy to literally kick off your boots after a long, hard day at the construction site. This easy-going feature means they probably won't stay attached to your feet very long in an accident at speed, and then your feet will get very sore very fast.

Blundies also offer about as much ankle support as a pair of Dunlop Volleys.

Better yet, spend $100-200 on a proper pair of motorbike touring boots. The better boots are comfortable to walk in, warm in winter, cool in summer, designed to protect you should you have an off, and should last years.
  15. For that money, shop around amongst types and ignore the brand and model- just buy whatever is in the best condition you can find. A well kept one will be cheap to run and bulletproof... a poorly kept one will cost you $1000 in the first year for new brake disks, chain/sprockets, etc.
  16. Yea i've bought my gear so now i'm just keeping my eyes peeled for a bike. Havn't bought boots though, looks like ill have to get some.
    Any brand of boots in particular?
  17. you really do need proper boots. 6 weeks off work (no wage cover) because of an easily prevented fractured foot was pretty gay. and i was wearing blundstones, thankchrist they werent steel capped. you get what you pay for, for your gear. dont pay it off. normal jeans do jack shit, kevlar lined one are a band aid solution at best. the scars on my knees will attest to that.

edit: my gaernes are great, the tread is wearing out pretty quickly though. rigid ankle protection is the thing to look out for.
  18. Throw an SR 250 into the mix if you want cheap options, but i think the GPX would be your best bet.

I also say don't skimp on the gear.
    Cheap motorbike boots are a better idea than expencive tradies boots.