Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

YouTube video Tracing

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sinner, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I was just wondering if YouTube videos can be traced by the police onced uploaded, if so how can they trace you.

2. Yes they can, and yes the police DO track youtube postings of interest.

Its a simple matter of them asking youtube for the IP address of the submitter, then going to your ISP and asking for records of which account was using that IP at that time. They then get all your account details and come knocking on your door.
  3. What if it was uploaded from Internet cafe?
  4. They can trace the I.P address. Did you do something illegal and post a vid?

I believe there has been a few times in which the police found violent videos of people being attacked and they traced it to the people who put the video up and it was the same person as the attacker in the vid, and he was arrested.

5. Just don't ask if it's about the youtube videos when they call you!!
  6. Everything is recorded. If you are thinking of uploading something questionable that might get you into trouble with the police, then my advice is DON'T.

Take the example of some poor sap who uploaded someone else's video he found on the net of swinging a baby and is facing court on child abuse charges.
  7. Was gonna post a vid of me riding with a helmet cam, but if they can trace it then i guess i'll just save myself the headache and not post it.

Thanks guys for your help.
  8. Tracing the IP address that supplied the content is not terribly hard to do, but rather involved in legal terms, especially if the content is hosted on a foreign server.

If you're behind a NAT firewall it gets a little trickier, as the Youtube server would just have the NAT address to go on, and this would then require a subpoena to the ISP for their records as well to track the identity of the host behind the NAT firewall.

Even after tracing it back to a singular computer, it then becomes a matter of putting who's fingers on the keyboard at that exact moment. This is where it becomes very murky and the actual connecting link gets "lost". Who was actually using the computer at that time? If your home network is behind a personal NAT firewall with a wireless connection behind that, then who's to say that someone wasn't sitting out the front of your house with a laptop, hacked into your personal home network to access the internet, and uploaded the video? That's certainly technically possible and for all intents and purposes externally would appear as if it was a computer inside your house that was doing the uploading.

This is where investigators generally just rely on the person tripping up and admitting that the video is theirs. Of course, even if the video is yours, that does not then prove the identity of people within the video unless that is admitted to as well, or their faces are on the camera, but even then the factual authenticity of the video needs to be proven. e.g. it isn't too hard to fake up someone doing a burnout with some inventive video editing. You could have their vehicle, their plates, their face, and everything, but is the video actually portraying a real event? Once again admission is usually what is relied upon to make that leap.

So technically it's possible. To nail someone without an admission though is a LOT of forensic legwork.
  9. Is that illegal? What about putting a small camera on your bike? I think the cops wouldn't take too much notice about something like a cam on your helmet/bike.

10. if u want to be safe.
    edit any identifieying feature in the video
    go to a net cafe/starbuck/Mcdoanlds
    make use a fresh account and email.
    upload the vid.
  11. Ha ha.

I think he was referring to the acts that he did whilst riding with said helmet-cam.
  12. Not really. All these file/video hosting companies have a policy to hand over relevant details to law enforcement agencies upon request. There is very little work required to get the data.

To be pedantic, network address translation is NOT a firewall. Any home network using NAT is not any trickier than one not using one. The IP address that the ISP track is the external address supplied to the modem/router, not whatever internal addressing system you might have behind a NAT connection. Using NAT does NOT provide anonymity, and there is still a great deal of data that can be logged and tracked about a user besides an assigned IP address to a modem/router connected to an ISP. ISP's get regular requests for information and have no qualms handing over this information.

Yes it does become very involved getting sufficient data to prove an individual performed whatever act is being investigated, and to what extent they are prepared to go depends on what they are investigating. For serious crimes then they will examine and confiscate all computer equipment for forensic examination. Would they bother for a vid of someone doing some wheelies and speeding? Unlikely. If it was a serial offender of the magnitude of Ghostrider...well Vic Pol probably would....

Agreed :)
  13. You're right. You are being pedantic. A NAT router/switch does act as a semi-effective firewall though in that unless configured to do so, it will prevent external traffic from initiating a connection to a host behind it as the hosts behind the NAT device effectively have no externally routable IP address.

In this way it also does offer a certain degree of anonimity, unless of course the NAT device is logging the MAC addresses of the hosts behind it, which is why I went on about how having a local wireless network behind the NAT device can complicate matters.

Then again, as you imply, there are other ways to trace/match up a computer with an account on a foreign hosting service, the most easy of which would be the "cookie".

The point about the hosting service giving out logs was a reference to a number of legal cases in the past where ISP's and hosting services have definitely resisted doing so. Some hosting services will give such information out freely, some will not. It all depends on the local laws of where the hosting server resides.
  14. It wouldn't take much of an investigator to find you even without any details from an ISP. Let's see, the rego details of any parked cars you pass on your journey may give away your location, the street or 'landmarks' may be identified by anyone 'local', the type/model/year/colour of the bike you ride shouldn't be too hard to work out. A quick search of all the 'other' possibly quite innocent videos you may have previously posted may give plenty of clues of who you are, heck your face may be in some or your bike in the background (complete with rego)!

That is not to mention the ex girlfriend that you piss off who makes an anonymous phone call or the mate that thinks you are too much of a cocky smartarse that does likewise or your mate's other mates (Hey buddy did you see bloody Sinner's video on Youtube!) who hated you at school. There are a myriad of ways you can come unstuck that you haven't even thought of!

Bottom line is that if you have done something a bit silly or naughty that was maybe fun at the time but may risk your licence, then quietly bask in the inner glow of not being caught! Boasting about your exploits on Youtube or similar, is bound to bring you unstuck at some point. Tall poppies only ever get cut down, no point trying to be one!
  15. Checked after I posted and I already know you are from Mascot, have a black 98 R1 with NSW reg DOA and I even know your birthday? How bloody hard was that? See what I mean? I am sure a real investigator could do a whole lot better!!!!!! :LOL:
  16. seriously, you think cops are gonna search youtube to try n issue a few reckless riding charges?

i seriously think they got better things to do and more important things to follow up...
  17. NO, almost certainly not!!! But, if it was brought to their attention by someone reporting it then it is possible and HAS happened before that the Youtube footage is used as part of the evidence!
  18. Just use a wireless modem router with security wep key disabled but unscrew the antenna... if cops come round screw the antenna back on and tell them someone must have used your wireless network to post it without your knowledge lol
  19. How about we don't advise people to do this... :p

Without a proper terminating antenna the signal amps could get fried, happened to CB's when they were transmitted on, but recieving seemed to be ok, and before you try the router/AP will be trying to transmit a discovery packet every so often.
    So I'd suggest leaving it all plugged in and use WEP, by someone who WANTS to get in, they can, and can't be proven otherwise... people War Driving usually look for unprotected ones, but can use a sniffer to work out the key, esp on 64bit mode ;)

Flux is right, any NAT device will be protected from incoming packets, it simply wont know where to direct them and will drop/reject them, unless DMZ is setup of course, but its still all routing based on a rule set, which is a simple firewall in itself... SPI however is a different thing.

So yes, one could be thought of as anonymous behind one, but being a small home LAN the cops are likely to put pressure on someone to give up another person.

What might be better is to use an anon proxy, or even hire an international windows box (with false data of course ;) ) and remote desktop into that and post from there :LOL:
  20. Yes - I said I was being pedantic. NAT is not any sort of firewall. It was designed as a method to share a single IP address over a small network by passing network traffic to a private network addressing behind it, NOT as a method of security. It is NOT a firewall and to call it one is simply incorrect. Network address translation will return any private host initiated connection back to the host without question, and this is not firewall behaviour. A firewall will at the most basic level provide packet filtering, stateful packet inspection and more advanced technologies to protect the hosts behind it. NAT does not do any of this. Many NAT routers will incorporate some basic firewall in addition to the NAT function, but NAT in itself is not a firewall. NAT allows ALL outbound connections without question, and incoming connections via private host initiated connections without question. And if you specify port mapping to an internal host, for example web traffic on port 80 from an external connection is routed to a specified private address, then all this traffic is passed without question also. NAT offers very little in the way of security measures because it was not designed for this purpose.

Very little anonymity. NAT is used on small networks and it is very little work to determine an offending host. Having a wireless network and stating "oh someone hacked into my LAN" isn't going to constitute much defence when there are many methods of fingerprinting a host besides the external IP address of the network. There are a multitude of ways of masking your identity if you choose, but if the crime warrants the attention, sufficient data can be tracked down to find even the cleverest hacker.

That being said, in the OP's case, posting a vid of some mild shenanigans is going to be of little risk, and unless there are sufficient ways of identifying him through video footage alone, then there is little likelihood of the police attempting to track him down and charge him.