Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your truck's to friggen tall mate

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, May 8, 2010.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/08/2893955.htm?site=sydney

The NSW Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) has criticised a truckdriver for causing an accident that shutdown a major motorway tunnel in south-west Sydney.

The M5 east tunnel has been closed since an oversized truck scraped its roof this morning.

The truck was carrying a 12 tonne excavator when it drove into the tunnel, bringing down twisted metal and debris onto other cars.

Mr Veysey says the accident has done significant damage to lights and the tunnel's ventilation system and it will not be able to reopen until at least tomorrow morning.

Took me twenty minutes to get from stoney creek rd/king georges intersection to past the m5, about a kilometre between them. ](*,)
  2. m5... worst road ever
  3. D*ckhead.
  4. #4 lowercase, May 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. His insurance company is going to love him.
  6. what a moron
  7. hehehe i just LOVE that there were warnings for him that it was too tall.. and he continued anyway and almost killed himself and brought down an entire tunnel... and probably got fired... and got lots of nasty stares...

all because he didn't want to exit...
  8. #8 Takamii, May 9, 2010
  9. What's causing it? Black ice? :S
  10. how would an external laser height reading have warned him inside the truck?

The radio said he could be facing a $50000 fine. Quite a lot really.
  11. The laser height reading gives a warning on the text displays before and in the tunnel.
  12. ahh, i see. I hope it is well before the bexley rd exit.
  13. we've got a few of those laser height readers here, tugun tunnel on the pacific motorway for instance, has a massive sign saying 'vehicle overheight when lights flashing' with 2 amber lights above the sign. this guy either had his head up his a$$ or just didn't care
  14. yes

considering water is able to leak in, gov should be responsible to all damage caused do to poor design of the tunnel.

Also makes me wonder why there are point on the m5 where water leaks in (even though it will never freeze its still dodgy contruction)
  15. You see it about every second time you go through the tunnel behind a truck. The signs are flashing and the truck drivers just ignore them.
  16. #16 Miraz, May 10, 2010
    Don't be too hard on him - he was just trying to copy this guy... [URL="]