Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your thoughts on an Across, plus an introduction

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Haggismaen, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Gday lads (and those of the female persuasion) I'm a new rider looking to get my first bike and, while I'm in no way dead set on one particular bike, a couple of ads have caught my eye and since I have only heard good things about the Across I thought I might get your thoughts on it.

One ad is a private seller 1997 model with 41,000km on it.

The other is from a dealership 1996 model with 54,000km on the dash.

I have not inspected either bike as of yet so I do not know of their condition beyond what is included in the ad, which tells me nothing.

Let me know what you think.
  2. Welcome to the boards....

this is going to be a fun thread too watch the progress :LOL: :p
  3. Hello, and welcome! :)

First things first - some of the less informed members of Netrider enjoy bagging the Across. I think this habit dates back to the early Pleistocene, when various Netrider old-timers were still on their restrictions and found themselves Across-mounted. The jokes have continued, but ignore 'em. The Across is a fine learner bike or commuter.

Good points:

The boot is genuinely useful, and I'll miss it when I upgrade.

The bike is light, although not especially so for a 250. You should be unlikely to find the weight of a larger bike difficult to handle when you upgrade.

4 cylinders rather than an agricultural twin! 16,500rpm redline! Fun! And it sounds good!

It handles well and it's predictable - no nasty surprises.

Bad points:

The boot means your fuel tank is under the seat, and it's only 12 litres. So you have to fill up more often than you might like. Big deal.

The seat isn't as comfortable on long trips as it could be. Buy a sheepskin seat pad.

It's a 250. You have to plan overtaking, and even now I keep trying to find 7th gear on the freeway (there isn't one). There's enough power to keep you ahead of most traffic, but you'll get your fun in the corners rather than on the straights.

You need to get used to co-ordinating clutch and revs accurately when manouvreing at low speed (eg walking pace), and for hill starts. It won't chug away from low revs, so it's less forgiving than (eg) a CB250. But you're learning a useful skill, so I figure it evens out in the end.

I've had my Across for nearly 16 months, and it was a good choice for my first bike. It's been fun, reliable and hasn't let me down. It's taught me a lot. Time to upgrade, but I'd be doing that about now no matter what 250 I'd bought.

If you'd like any more info, email me (see the button below this post). :)

And there's an entire forum devoted to the Across, it's well worth checking out:

4. If you look after it you will still get 200km per tank, which is about the same as some of the bigger bikes

I love my sheepskin for the longer rides :grin:

I have had mine for over 4 years and love it. There are always people who ask to put their stuff in your boot but you just need to remember which ones have bagged (pardon the pun) out the Across and suggest other places for them to put their drink bottles/wallets/purses/smokes etc ;) :twisted:
    I haven't upgraded because basically, I don't want to get rid of the Across and until I get more confident in the twisties on it, I don't see a need :)
    Also depending on how tall/big you are, the advantage for the guys is that the Across is one of, if not the, biggest of the 250's around so you won't look like you have a rollerblade up your bum :grin:
  5. When I was looking for a 250 my two options were the Across and the ZZR.
    The Bonus I saw in the across are the obvious boot.
    The negative I see are that it apparently has a tendency to find false nutrals.
    Then there is the geometry of the bike. It is a good and bad for the bike. Obviously it gives you a little more leg room, but as a beginner it also makes the bike a little more top heavy and potentially unwieldy

My choice to go the ZZR was not based on any of this. My choice was based on the fact that I had an almost show room quality ZZR in front of me, and Across's were discontinued earlier than ZZR's so the price to quality (age) is a little steeper.
  6. 200km - never happens
    Sheepskin - Definate need!

Across (AKA Handbag) - Great bike to learn on, handle fantastic, reliable and easy to service. Only down side to the Across is the comfort which can be fixed with a sheepy seat cover and the fuel range apart from that there a great bike.

There is another down side, for the duration that you own one everybody will give you full on crap!
  7. legendary learners bike , bullet proof .

i had 91,000 k's on mine , never any hassles with it .
  8. I disagree. I get AT LEAST 200 km out of a tank and anyone that rides regually with me will vouch for that :)
  9. Thanks for the tips so far guys, its been great so far!

Thanks for the link Doonks, but alas, I am in Sydney so its a no go there.

Additionally I have been reading the used bike inspection criteria from this site and its been a good help however I have one problem. I don't have my license yet (or gear for that matter) so I would not be able to test ride them even if the seller was willing.

This would actually be a moot point since I would not want to take the bike out on the roads even if I did have my license since it would be the first time I have been on a bike since the training course, and thus, first time in traffic.

I also have no friends that ride that could pass judgement on it for me. What do you suggest to do in a situation like this? If you give it a thorough inspection and it looks sound with a thorough service history, combined with fairly low KMs how essential is a test ride to see how it runs mechanically?

I have no qualms about buying the bike first and having it sit around until I get my license.
  10. Hey I agree with you flipper, I get 200kms out a tank on my across, prior to service and tune was only getting approx 140-150kms. Supprising how much those throttle slide make a difference. I find the boot very handy and will miss it when upgrade from a 250cc. I was looking at getting an Across of Kawasaki GPX 250 , the reason that I got the Across was 1) handiness of the boot, 2) Kawasaki's have a bit of a rep of not being reliable 3) The reports of the Across handling being pretty good, in fact have mate the test rode the Across before I bought it and he was stunned at how well it handled and this is from a guy that use to do track racing. ie it's not bike set up for track racing but for what it is he was suprised. With the Across got to keep the revs up, but hell redline is 16,500 rpm thus can afford to do it.
  11. Whereabouts in Sydney Haggismaen? There are a few of us floating around Sydney that might be able to help you out...
  12. welcome.

i wished i had an accross when i was a learner.
  13. Argh to buy the Fagbag....woops I mean the Handbag or not :-k

I'd say NOT :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers :cool:
  14. Welcome...
    Yeah, I also would have liked an across, especially when going to Uni... all that 'boot' space..!
  15. I'm from the Marrickville area.

Well I called the private seller, the guy that inspected it before me bought it, so ah well.

What do you think of the 1996 Across with 54,000km on it for $3250. Assuming the bike is in good condition do you guys consider it a good deal?

It's well below its supposed redbook value
  16. Welcome, interesting name you have there! There are a few riders here from your area, I'm one of them. Give me a yell if you need some help.
  17. I have an Across, and have loved every minute of it.

A great 1st bike, lots of fun through the twisties. Being a bit heavier, it has made it a breeze to step up to a bigger bike.

The boot, well where do I start on that. It is just the best feature on the whole bike! Where else can you store 28 cans and still have room for your wallet! :p

It's a very reliable and fun bike, the seat is as hard as a rock, but you soon get used to it. Revs like the buggery, but it keeps you awake when you're riding home at 3.30am and there is a big mozzie buzzing around to keep you awake!

Hope you find what you're after.