Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your reasons for a road trip?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Valkrider, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and for my sins, live in England in the UK.
    My main enjoyment in my life is packing my bike up and going touring. When you guys decide to make a road trip, what do you head for. Is it a fantastic bit of road, a particular place to see or do you just head out and see where you end up.

When I start looking into a road trip I scour Youtube looking for any roads that catch my eye.
    Then I'll search for a campsite that isn't too far away. Once I've found the road and base I look to see whats around that would interest the wife (gotta keep 'em happy).
    When it's all in place I then look at the cost and try to figure out how I'm paying for it.

I'm fortunate enough to live within riding distance of Europe, which has some of the best biking roads in the world.
    I was supposed to be going to Austria last year but had to cancel because I broke a leg. This year the trip is on for August. Probably the most famous road in Europe is the Stelvio Pass but for this road trip I've decided on the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.
    Instead of camping on this trip we'll be staying in hotels, it'll be a 15 night trip, covering over 3,000 miles (5,000km) and will cost me about £2k english money, about 4k in your Aussie dollars.

The Grossglockner High Alpine Road.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Damn that looks awesome :] so jealous
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Who needs a reason?

Bike + fuel + rider + time = ROAD TRIP!!!
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Road trips for me are to leave the world behind. Forget about work, commitments, stress, etc - and just go - with nothing to worry about. For a few days or a week. I find that riding really helps to clear the head, and recharge my batteries. I enjoy the riding, but like to take time out to stop and enjoy the scenery as well - I enjoy breaking it up and just having a good time away with some like minded people.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Like what ajriderajrider said, road trips for me are getting away from the hustle & bustle of city living and going on an adventure to rejuvenate both body and mind.

Sometimes though, going down the shops 5kms away could end up taking 3 hours and a tank of fuel to get there :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reason? You need a reason? I thought you just needed an opportunity.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. because i can? Although it doesn't happen much anymore. :(

I have been known to send wife and kids in car, have a coffee then head the fun way north :D
  8. Because the road calls me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. No reason required.
    No destination required.

Only pre-requisites are tarmac in front, fuel in the tank and good beer at the end of the day.

Some nice optional extras would be no cops, good weather and a lass for entertainment - but not before beer/food and mates.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. To quote George Mallory: because it's there.
  11. My reason for doing a road trip is that I have the money and time.

Sadly in the last 2 years I've had plenty of time but no money.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mostly I just scour maps and google for roads that look interesting, and then put everything else together around that framework. Sights and scenery might sway me one way or another.
    Always limited by time and money.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I would love to have more time for road trips. These days I can usually get one good trip each year, but I wish I could get away more.
    Route planning on Google maps or on old school paper is part of the fun.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. b12mickb12mick - that sucks mate!

Re plenty time and no cash - maybe you can combine the two, so to speak, and arrange the odd awesome 2-4 night ride for a group of likeminded individuals, at a small cost to each, that would allow you to run the ride and pay for your own fuel/food/lodging. And beer of course!
  15. Not a bad idea. Now just to convince people to go for a ride with me and pay me for it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. The joy of marketing! But if you know the best roads around the place and reckon you could organize something like this, you never know, might fly. Say 10 riders at for eg $50 a head 'organizer' fee....obviously they have to cover all their other costs too, but that's just got arranging everything abd local guiding on best roads and pubs etc in and around wherever!
  17. The best road trips in my experience have been the unplanned. Just point in the direction you want to go and, go.

Though I must admit two little kids has pulled up any ambition for a spontaneous road trip in the last few years. :grumpy:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Geez.... you must have done something pretty terrible! ;-)

Actually, to be perfectly honest, one thing that I miss about living in the UK is the "handiness" of the Dover=Calais ferry.

My first longish ride here in Oz, I left Sydney, rode pretty seriously for a whole day, heading for Adelaide, and, when I stopped for beer and the night...... I was still in the same state that I started in...... NSW.

None of the decadence of ripping though three or four countries in one day...... <sigh>
  19. hmm 100km/day pub crawl :D or maybe a Cider run up Tumut way... Pub used to be cheap and nice accommodation up there.
  20. You're forgetting a couple of very big hindrances to this. As the organiser I would require some protection in the form of public liability insurance which can be quite expensive. Then I've got to deal with these people. Now just in case you hadn't notice I'm a bit of a grumpy old man who can be quite c*nt and arsehole at times.

I had actually looked in to this when I was VP and Pres of the bike social club I was in. As someone said - why would you pay someone to take you on roads that you can ride for free and stay in motels you can organise yourself.

Note; the club folded coming up 2 years ago, not long after I made that suggestion.