Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your opinions and comments please....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by hcrun, Nov 28, 2009.

1. I am torn between buying a 1985 Honda CBX250 and a 1985 Honda GB250.
    Both have single-cylinder engines.
    The CBX is faired - to a degree - and the GB is naked.
    I like the look and specs of both - on paper.

I am three month's into my L's, riding for leisure on a CM400A, but would like to own a second bike that has pretensions of being a bit sportier than what it really is. :p
    Due to my advanced years I tend to shy away from the modern styles and feel more comfortable with the 1970's/80's designs.

I live in Canberra and the bike would only be ridden in the local region.

As I have no experience with either bike I value the comments of those who may have owned or ridden these.

Thanks for reading.
    Bruce

2. Gday Bruce

If you're after something a bit sportier, I reckon you'll be disappointed with either. Even though the CBX has something of a fairing, it has the RFVC motor of the XR250RE and not known for its road performance.

Are you harking back to the 80's for budget reasons? If not, look at the VTR 250 Honda. Prob the best 250 going around. If you are on a budget, I'd steer clear of sibgle pot bikes and look at a twin. Maybe a 90s CB250? Very basic but still reasonably cheap and def better than a single. Have a look on Bikesales.com and see what's there.

Best o luck

3. CBX was light, lively and lots of fun to ride. The (very rare) UK ones were all naked AFAIK. Trouble is, mid-80s Hondas have engines made from cheese (cycle parts not much better) and so, if it hasn't had 1500km oil changes all its life, the cylinder head will be expensive scrap.

Dunno about the GB, but I doubt if it would be much different.

4. Are you harking back to the 80's for budget reasons

I was going to ask the same question. Honest, if you ride a VTR 250 and then go and ride one of the 80s machines, you'll realise that the past is not as glorious as you might remember it (and I remember nearly 60 years of it!).

5. Thank you both for your opinions, it is much appreciated.

Jeimbo: I'm not really thinking of the 80's for budget reasons, no. It's more for aesthetic reasons....I just dislike the modern styles. They all look like the Transformers that I used to buy my son twenty years ago. :)

The VTR250, eh? Okay, I'll have a look around.

Thanks again.
    Bruce

6. I have no idea how glorious the past may have been - appear to have been - from the seat of a motorcycle, because I've only had my license since August.
    And, like you, I can remember at least 60 years of it, as I turned 64 three weeks ago. :)

No, it's just that when I picture and think of 'bikes the images that come into my mind are Triumphs, Nortons, Honda 750's.....and the occasional Honda 90!! :p.

The silly thing is that I realise that underneath their skins modern 'bikes are far superior to those of twenty years ago, but I hate the styling with a passion!
    Perhaps I should stick with what I have, get my P's and then full license and in a couple of years buy the to-be-released-next year CB1100.

Now THAT is what my generation calls "styling"! :p

Bruce

P.S.
    My son (26) has a lovely Yamaha 250 Renaissa (V-twin)....I could always opt for one of those. Nice machine.

7. In terms of the VTR250 being the best starter bike, definitely have to agree

A budget version could be any of the predecessors like a vt250 spada (early 90's mostly) or even the vt250f's if you wanna be cool like me (all through the 80's)

I found with getting an 80's bike cheaply it needed a fair amount of work to get it into decent shape, nothing costly just LOTS of time. But for me it worked out great

And theres even the cb250 hornet to consider too, if you have the money I hear these are quite excellent machines (no clue on actual pricing though)
    Honda%20cb250%20Hornet%2096%20%201.

-
    Chris

8. Another option for you may be the Yamaha SRV250. It uses the V-twin from the Virago 250 cruiser, but has a more refined top end for a few more ponies. Think of it as a bit of a VTR equivalent, but in more classic style:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't go past an older bike at a good price, but the comments about its life and current reliability are all well founded. As much as I like older bikes, I'm very aware of the amount of work they can need. Thing is, I don't mind it as I've got a bit of mechanical know-how and a decent work area :)

Cheers - boingk

9. 1980's bike, especially budget ones, are a bit of a money pit.

Is the gs500 too modern for you?

w650?

10. I already own and ride a 1980's bike - Honda CM400 which next year I'll put onto classic rego (30 years old in 2010).

So I'm looking at something to blat around Canberra on and I think that over the past few days I've just about settled on a 2001 NSR150.

Any thoughts?

Bruce