Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your most risky pillion

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jawntybull, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Tell us about your most risky pillion passenger! Here's mine - took my mother in law on the back of the Bandit yesterday... she can hardly see and hardly walk, had to get a stepladder to get her on, but she loved the ride!

Corners were a challenge - Mum kept trying to sit up whenever I leant the bike over - oooohh!

2. <waits for comments about her protective gear> :LOL:

I have only ever had two pillions, one my wife, and the other a mate's wife, a long time ago. Both were exemplary, but regrettably the Hornet's seat is not that suitable for pillioning, so it's not a current practise.
  3. I had my first pillion at the Island this year. Cept he was 6 foot 4 and very very very very off his nut!

When a drunken munted mate decides to get comfy at 100 kays and put all his weight on the right peg it causes a little unexpected wobble, specially on an undersprung Hornet 2shitty!
  4. Picked up my girlfriend in Braybrook. Rode all the way to the Blackspur, rode through the Blackspur, Perfect pillion all the way. she coulnt be faulted in any way.
    Hammering around this very tight left hand hairpin 3/4 of the way through the spur,
    She decides to sit up straight. which throws us across the road almost to the edge on the right hand side of the road,
    Right in front of an oncoming fully loaded timber jinker, In desperation, I immediately give her my elbow in the side of the head and knocked her back down again, I give it every thing it had, laid it almost flat on the ground, and scorched back onto my side of the road.
    How the front wheel of the timber jinker did not run over us, to this day I do not know,
    I am talking 3 or 4 inches at the most, between the trucks tyre and mine, If the bike had slipped even a tiny little bit, the trucks tyre would have run straight over me, I was examining the depth of the tread on the truck, it was that bloody close.
    35 years later, I meet my eldest daughter for the first time. one of her first comments to me, You hit my mother, Yes I did, I told her, and at that time, I meant it, If I had not hit her at the time, your mother and I, would not be here, and neither would you, She then understood the reason, the one and only time that I hit her Mother,
    One of the closest encounters to being a Deadman I ever want to experience,
    Riding a 600 twin BSA at the time.

And no, I didnt crap my pants, I was too busy attempting to stay alive,
  5. Haven't had any really risky pillions.

Two stand out in memory, though. One is the bloke to whom I offered a lift on a MAG run. He wasn't particularly big and didn't do anything particularly wrong, but somehow still managed to feel like an uncooperative sack of rocks.

The other is the prospective buyer I took out for a test ride on the rather short pillion seat of MrsB's Amazing Frictionless Commando. Approaching a local roundabout at some velocity (proper UK sized, not the piddly things you get here) and knowing that I didn't have the brakes to give way to the vehicles I could see approaching, I gave the old beast a big handful. Amidst the rather busy few moments that followed, dealing with a light front end, an oily back tyre and slightly out of adjustment isolastics, I became aware of an emptiness behind, a pair of feet in my armpits and a slight screaming noise barely audible above the bellow of the open megas, as my passenger attempted to depart over the tail light. Clear of the roundabout and realising that dumping the customer in the path of following vehicles was not likely to be an effective sales technique, I shut off and banged it down a gear, thus allowing him to rotate to a more upright posture and smack the back of my helmet with the front of his. Astoundingly when we got back, he couldn't get his wallet out fast enough.

And, of course, I've previously related the tale of the very pissed mate who lost a (equally pissed) passenger and didn't notice until the next day when said passenger turned up, covered in mud, having slept it off in a ditch.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jawnty i am looking at your eyes and they have a "christ, is she still hanging on there" look! lol
  7. The mother-in-law :shock:
    On second thoughts, that's not a bad idea.... :-k
  8. No, you mistake my look - its "right, now's my chance!!"
  9. drunk girl. never again ..... ever
  10. My most risky pillion passenger was.....ME. Years ago I went over to Engadine from Baulkham Hills with a mate to pick up his new bike. He was a returning rider who, amongst other quirks, only had one leg. His right leg just below the knee had been lost to cancer when he was a boy and he had an artificial leg. I pondered at the time that that was going to present some difficulty when braking. I soon found out that it wasn't a difficulty at all as Glenn didn't use the brakes...

The plan was for me to pillon Glenn back on the bike, a Yamaha RD350LC, and for Glenn to acclimatise himself with the machine once we got home with a few "around the block" rides, etc.

It didn't work out that way. Once cash had been exchanged for goods and Glenn's eyes glazed over at the idea of his new purchase, he decided that he'd ride home and I would pillion. Little did I know what I was letting my self in for.

Out of the shop and onto the street with Glenn doing his best Kenny Roberts impersonations and me clinging on in dread and mortal fear for my life. Across to Hurstville, down Henry Lawson Drive to Bankstown, along to the Meccano Set and down Woodville Road, all at obscene speeds and with little or no regard for the road rules or other traffic.

And just when I thought that it couldn't get worse, we hooked left at the Maccas and headed in towards Merrylands, our usual back street shortcut. Now those of you who know it will know that, just after you turn left at the Maccas, you turn right onto Loftus Street and cross a small overpass that has a sharp left/right "S" bend. As we howled down towards the bridge, I noted that there was a slow-moving car in front and I thanked God that Glenn was finally going to slow down as there was nowhere he could overtake...

Yeah, right. Without even slowing down, he flung the bike left, aimed for the gap between the car and the gutter and UNDERTOOK the car across the bridge, the left hand footpeg scraping the kerb in the process. Needless to say I was screaming like a schoolgirl by this stage and I can't even remember the rest of the ride. I know we survived because I'm here to tell the tale, but I surely don't know how and I vowed never to get on the back with anyone ever again.
  11. a girl i used to hang out with, she felt very comfortable squishing right up against me with the vadge warmth being a constant distraction and every corner she would get the kung fu grip and everytime we stopped she would waggle around and poke me.

By far the most annoying person to put on the back of a motorcycle.
  12. Just for the record, I reckon that they wrecked that bit of road. It used to be awesome fun before they tried to make it safer, Ba$terds.
  13. It was too, but not that day and not from where I was sitting!!
  14. I've had a few...

The funniest was in India; I was hanging out with a couple of people in town and we were about to head back to our hotel. I'd ridden my bike down, a yamaha rx135 (basically the same as the rx125 we got here in the 70s, but made in the 90s and 00s), and as it was a short ride but a reasonable walk up hill, I offered them both a lift (when in Rome...).

So I was sitting more or less on the tank, small girl from Sydney behind me, and a lanky German guy behind her. We wound our way slowly back (no helmets for either of the pillions of course, and no gear for any of us), having a great laugh. It was all good until we came to the driveway - short and steep. Gave it a little bit to get our combined weight up there, and pulled my first ever wheelie mid-hill! Desperately moving my weight forward, and barely controlling the 'bars as my arms were so cramped, I got the front down and parked it in front of a couple of laughing kids.

I miss the freedom you have on a bike in India...
  15. ^^ not sure about the danger though, although with most of the bikes there you can't really go that fast, and the traffic is another matter.

I have been in a 3 person pillion and apart from the cramped room, it was fine so I thought.
  16. The number of people that they crowd on bikes in Asia is amazing. I visited the Philippines a couple of times about 10 years ago and it was common to see 7 or 8 people on a little 125, plus a couple of pigs strapped to the side as well.
  17. Mrsfoot falls asleep a lot. Never moves, just hugs in tight and stays put.. If it was me I'd roll over and drag the poor bugger riding off the bike..
    So did the ex mrs foot..
    Not sure why.
  18. Not exactly a crazy story like the ones above but from my limited pillioning experience I have these two:

My 'ol ZZR-250 weights 140kg dry, and I'd stopped at a mates place for a few beers before going out. Problem was I forgot to get the beers on the way in (auto-piloted to his house).

He suggested walking, I said "nahhhhhhhhhh, you have just brought a jacket and helmet, I'll pillion you to the bottle shop!" Great idea at the time. I'd taken a pillion on the ZZR before, but she weighted 50-60kg's or so...

I weight 70kg's, he weights 130kg's, = 200kg's + on a 140kg bike with shagged suspension...!! Going around the first majorish 'corner' was a T-intersection and I could literally feel the frame and forks bending and flexing underneath me (why the fuk did I list my bike for sale on this site??!??!?!?!)... the front tyre / forks / frame was flexing and side stepping as I negotiated tram tracks and crazy Richmond Swan Street taxi's... We got to the bottle shop, added a 6-pack of weight to the equation, and made it home. Mission accomplished.

Second time was 'pillion practice' with Loz. I was collecting a tyre from Mr Loz when I explained how I needed pillion practice before taking a friend in two nights time (female)(yes - giggity). Loz kindly and possiably stupidly offered to let me practice with him, so kind Loz! :) I accepted remembering back to a moment several weeks earlier with my above mentioned mate who jumped on the ZZR. I needed to play musical bikes, and story short 3 weeks after having the Daytona I thought about the possibility of taking him pil to the mechanics, while it was parked in the garden at home I sat on it and asked him to climb on. It felt fine and I thought I could hold the bike fine as my mates climbed on and off and gave it a little shake while sitting on it.

I didn't know until several weeks later he was holding onto the fence the entire time!!

I did notice however when Loz geared up, he grabbed an old leather jacket that I noticed had already been down the road several times, and an old helmet I'd never seen him ride in. Talk about confidence inspiring!! :grin:

I moved the bike to the middle of Loz's thin street and he geared up. The next 10minutes were absolute terror and laughter all combined into one. All we needed was a third stooge and some benny hill music, because nothing else could beat that picture.

First attempt: road chambers left, me left foot on the peg (can't reach road), and right on the ground. Loz attempt to climb on fail, the bike headed for the ground that quick as he attempted to place his weight on the left peg to climb on he dived off.

Second attempt: park it in the middle of the road where I can *barely* get both tip-toes down. Fail, Loz placing weight again on the bike nearly topples it. All I remember hearing was "READY READY, ARE YOU READY" cautions Loz, "YEAH MATE PIECE OF PISS!!" my arse.

Third attempt: park it in the gutter on the left and take advantage of the road chamber and curb. Problem, road chamber so damn steep at the edges when I'm parked in the gutter I still couldn't touch the curb!!! Fail.

Forth attempt: reverse it into someones driveway entry near 45 degrees to the road and the road chamber will 'lower' the centre of the bike per-say. Take off do a U-turn and get it ready. I'm ready, feet position offers false sense of security and I tell Loz to jump on. At this point I should point out that Loz's street isn't really that wide, and at 5pm cars are starting to come home from work / school etc. All the neighbors are probably peering out the window thinking what the fuknhela is going on with these two twits. Loz with a tremor in his voice says he's ready and going to start climbing on.

Hand on my left shoulder, Loz's foot on the left riders peg and starts to transfer his weight... The bike starts leaning slowly but we continue, I figure it'll settle down once he gets his arse planted so I wait a little longer. Meanwhile my leg suddenly has weights it's never experienced before the bike continues to lean to the left. As I lean my body to the left to get more leg length to push on the bike leans more, and I start stretching hard to catch the bike. As I pull with my arms to hold it up, I start twisting a shit load of throttle. I should also mention the bike is in first so I didn't have to worry about kicking a gear once Loz was up, just take off. The bike is mid rev range in first, and tipping to the left, and its only moments before I let go of the clutch and send three packages in different directions. In a saving decision Loz abandons the bike and basically stands on his left leg with his right still hanging over the pillion seat. That sudden weight transfer rights the bike vertical and I'm thinking to myself "Success!! I've got it, time to roll!!! Fukyeah!!".

I hollered in joy: "Got it mate, ready to move?!?!?"

"Yeah nah mate, I'm not on the bike".

Anti-climax!!! I look over my left shoulder is disappointment. Gawd damn!!! It's about this time our abdominal muscles are experiencing severe fatigue and irreparable damage from so much laughter. Combined with the warm sunny after noon and full gear and helmets, I was getting quite warm.

Fifth and final attempt: About this stage Loz was saying "its not gonna happen mate" and I was starting to believe him. However my "on principle" riding habits said otherwise. The last trick I remembered was a slightly dodgy one but I've seen it done. I parked the bike in the middle of the street again, meanwhile dodging cars etc, and left the bike on the side stand. I asked Loz to climb on as if he is riding it, then to shimmy his arse onto the pillion seat. Now those who have ever sat on the back of a Daytona would know, its a frikking tall pillion seat (and bike). Add to this an off camber road and no rider in front, and a thin side stand leaning towards the downside of said road, Loz was very nervous and showing it through many signs of laughter and giggles and "oh shit this isn't right brownyy". "yeah it is mate shudup and lets get this on with". :grin:

With Loz up there it was time for me to get on and steer this damn thing around the streets. I grabbed the bars and went to swing a leg over as I always do.... Only to boot my totem pole sitting mate fair and square in the gut / shoulder / head / something. I was then stuck. Loz took this golden opportunity of holding my right leg while I balanced on my left and decided a little balance test was in order. A quick shake and push / shove saw my left leg and arms work mad to stay upright before he so kindly forced my leg past him and over the bike. I finally got on and started the bike!! Success!!!

Only one thing is left. Get the bike off the stand and take off. All I have to do, *humph* is start from the left and throw my weight *humph* to the right and stand the bike up *humph*, yep, throw my weight *humph* to the right *humph* and stand the bike up *humph*, come on, all my weight *humph* to the right *humph* one last biggggggg *HUMPH*

Hoooooooollllyyyyyyyyyyyy fuuuuuukkkkknnnnnnnnnnnnnn bike is on two wheels and no stand and my right leg caught it, and its shaking bad trying to hold us up. Now kick the side stand up.

It was here I dismissed the idea of taking Loz pillion. I couldn't get my left foot off the ground long enough to give the side stand a little kick. I tired rolling forward to get enough speed to kick it up while rolling but soon dismissed the entire idea.

10 minutes of pure idiocy and laughter combined with an element of fear that can only be paralleled to a freaky clown who doesn't taken his medication at a kids party.

A happy ending however, I used and still do use the side stand method for getting pillions on and off, and used it two nights later. My intended pillion is 60 something kilo's and I had no problems taking her around. She infact, had been my best pillion to date, no movement at slow speeds below 20km/h (as I requested) and very limited movement (and slow / non-sudden at that) when stopped at the lights. Good body position while taking corners and weighted herself on the tank when braking etc. Strangely enough, she rides also.

Another friend who rides a ZX2 said she was a great pillion. I dismissed this idea when I was filtering at traffic lights at 20km/h and she decided to sit up and look behind her or something... nearly rode straight into a stationary car.

But who am I to complain, apparently I'm referred to as twitchy on the back of a bike....................

Thanks Loz!!
  19. LMAO! Loz is 2.68 times your size!
  20. Worst was my ex who decided the bike was leaning too far for her liking so she thought she'd straighten it up! No more rides after that one...