Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your most expensive accessory

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by hornet, Jan 26, 2006.

1. No, not your wife/husband/partner, your most expensive MOTORCYCLE accessory.

What's the most amount of money you've spent on a bike accessory (not leathers or personal accessories)?

And, if you can work it out, what was that cost as a proportion of the total value of the bike??

Mine was for the first bike I owned, the RD-250. I paid $849 for the bike, brand new, in 1974, and in 1975 I spent $280 on..

1. A handle-bar mounted bikini screen

2. A fibreglass front guard

3. A one-piece shell which fitted over the tank, and replaced the seat, turning the bike into a cafe-racer.

I needed to have, and made myself, a set of rear-sets, and later added expansion chambers as well, but that single package of three matching (orange) fibreglass accessories cost ONE THIRD of the total value of the bike!!

{I'd never get that past Mrs Hornet these days!! :p}
  2. I spent $1500 on a suspension upgrade (front and rear) using Gold Valves etc for the Suzuki Bandit 1200 I used to own.
  3. at the moment it would be the ventura rack and bag at around 400 bucks , although i want to buy the belly pan/ fairing thats available as an option which is 550 bucks
  4. Mine would be the Termignoni Exhaust Cans. Over $1000.
  5. Around $250 for a muffler on a bike which i paid $4500 to get.

When i upgrade i'll be spending bigger $$$$$$ on better stuff.
  6. hmm my pipe on my old zzr

Now.. My helmet.. but that's not really an accessory is it lol
  7. $2300 on a full system for the SP1
  8. I just spent $1050 on a nice carbon fibre yoshi RS3 oval exhaust. I still cant believe how bloody much slip on exhausts cost its bloody ridiculous. Looks a heap better now though and makes abit of sound, its far from a good sound but what can you expect from a 600cc I4.

Also bought some other things recently.

$200 - New tail light with integrated signals
    $100 - Fender eliminator kit
    $400 - Personalised plate
    $80 - Nice set of black anodised mirror block offs
    $100 - Clear flushmount front indicators which ive been waiting for weeks to arrive from the US.

Bike cost me $14,900 ride away so thats a pretty big dent on the initial price on silly exterior mods :roll:
  9. I spent $2000 on a full 50mm exhaust system for my first VTR.
  10. $1000 on new suspension
    and worth every cent :D
  11. a $30 tiinted visor for my helmet.
    that's uh, all.
  12. 900 on new front cowl, left middle and left lower
    500 on new instrument bracket
    130 on new gear lever

after a low speed off

still have original fairings sitting waiting to be resprayed
    little damage just hate imperfection

and lately
    130 on a graves fender eliminator

new pipes after the wedding in october
  13. you forgot to add....

Riding an awesome looking bike....priceless! :)
  14. Lol yeah, certainly looks alot tidier now. Ill post some pics when the front indicators rock up.
  15. Quite a spread, $30 to $2,000; who said motorcycling was inexpensive? :LOL:
  16. $1450 on a GPS alarm that comsumes all the space in my tiny boot. About 7% of my bikes value at that time.
  17. Easy - annual comprehensive insurance. :)

Between 5% and 10% annually.
  18. Metal rego holder...$5 seriously.

Oh alright..$100 disc lock, but thats it.
  19. bought the bike new 5 months ago for 12,602

so far i have spent just over 10,000 on it

full s/s race system (remus)

vas computer system

racing levers

jet kit and pod filters

full bolt replacement (with s/s cap head bolts)

L E D everything

Flame Rotors

and lots of other stuff to numerous to mention

20. bike = $2500
    transfer rego = $90
    oil change = $70 (inc filter)
    Windlip screen = $140 (inc postage)

but that's just the start, over it's life the beast will be one big rolling experiment :twisted: