Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your input needed for university motorbike design project

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Rob Cuzner, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi Netriders,

I'm in my final year of uni studying mechanical engineering and industrial design at Swinburne, Melbourne. I have chosen a one year project to design and engineer a Two Wheeled Electric Cargo Vehicle. Essentially a motorbike or scooter that is purpose built for transporting large amounts of cargo and provides weather protection to the rider. Typical users would include pizza delivery drivers, postal delivery riders, mobile professionals, florists, etc, as well as individuals who want the benefits of a car's storage and weather protection in a two wheeled vehicle.

I've been riding myself for many years but I need your help as riders to identify the features that you would want from this vehicle. I've set up an online questionnaire, if you have a spare 5 minutes to take a look and fill it out I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDFudVJEVWc5UWxjUHZzMXZfRHlyd2c6MQ

Cheers

2. Done too.

3. done 3

4. Done for.

Would love to know the results and see the final proposition.

5. Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses, there is some great info coming in. I'll keep the questionnaire open till the 16/04/12. I'll post some some stats and a concept drawing or two in the following weeks.

Keep 'em coming and thanks again!

6. Done.

Well written survey and not too long, well done!

7. Done. very keen to see what you come up with!

8. Done. Keen to see how your progressing with it also! Hope you get a good mark!

9. done and dusted

10. I wrote this "Need a way to drag the rear brake for filtering -- not sure how this would work with regenerative brakes...maybe the rear regenerative brake is initiated by rolling off the throttle, and the other brakes operate normally?? " Any other opinions on the topic?

11. I think your project has already been done...

4384055861_dc3137b006_o.

but I did your survey anyway.

12. finished

13. Done & Dusted.

14. But I don't want weather protection.
    One of the joys of a motorcycle is not being insulated from the world

Edit: Ahh, and now I've filled out the survey I see you have options for that.

15. i know this is a motorbike forum and you probably want to make something more along those lines, but it's an engineering project right?
    so why not make a gyro 'car' ?

16. Do your own homework! :cheeky:

(Done ;))

17. Was thinking similar. A lot of academics propose a partial solution to a problem with these types of projects that hasn't been determined yet. Part of the initial analysis might result in a different design, say a 3 wheeler, being far more optimal and practical than a 2 wheeler.