Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Your heroes - Riders we look up to

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by cruisin4abruisin, May 11, 2015.

1. Ok, So who are your "heroes" of motorcycling and why?
    Barry Sheene? Mick Doohan? Share your favorite moments!
    I wish I got to see Barry Sheene race. But, that being said growing up watching the likes of Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan & Co, I felt very lucky, don't recall many standout moments., but always felt happy when they won!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. John McGuiness, Joey Dunlop, Mike Hailwood, Steve Hislop and of course Eddie Lawson come to mind

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh, and the dirt track racer: Joe Screen.

4. How 'bout Guy Martin?

Malcolm Smith is pretty hard to beat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Guy Martin's IoM TT record compared to McGuiness? Not much comparison there really.
    I like Guy Martin but he's not one of the greats (yet).

6. There is more to "heroism" than lap times.

Martin and his eccentric antics make him a bit of a legend.....

Not to detract from Dunlop or McGuinness

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. True. Fair point.

• Like Like x 2
  8. All the riders that do the Dakar, some of the riders do it on a shoestring budget no sleep, working on your bike yourself, heroes every one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. For those of you who get up to Pie in the Sky, I'd nominate Old Jack as a hero.

AFAIK, he's 89 and still riding regularly on one or other of his collection of bikes.

• Like Like x 5
  10. BTW, up at Pie today, was chatting to Old Jack.

He was riding his Velocette Thruxton today.

After coffee and chat, he wanders off, fiddles with all sorts of bits I don't even know the name of, and starts the old bike, first kick. :)

I'm over twenty years his junior, and I gave up on kick starting bikes quite a while back, and even then it was only 125 and 250 two-strokes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daryl Beattie & Peter Goddard. I've met both of them on separate occasions. Nicest down to earth guys I've ever met. As racers from the highest levels, they had time to chat with you and within 5 minutes we were chatting like we had been old mates for years. Their passion for riding is infectious.

12. The guys at HART, who taught me to ride and ran the testing, feature highly on my list

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Good one. For me that is George and Bezz Talbot at Ridesmart North East. Can't recommend them enough to anyone.

14. Erik Buell

• Like Like x 2
  15. I was fortunate enough to watch Barry Sheene race at Silverstone in the UK. I can't remember much about it as I was quite young, but I know I was there.

The guys I admire are the ones who travel long distances on older or clapped out bikes, not Ewen and Charlie with their huge back-up crew.

There's a guy on youtube that's travelled most of the world on a Honda C90, now that's brave.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pierlucio Tinazzi.

Italian security guard on his BMW K75, who sacrificed his own life in the process of saving 10 lives after emergency services gave up in the 1999 Mont Blanc tunnel fire.

• Like Like x 4
  17. I don't have a hero but this. This is what someone should look up to. Pure courage

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. I usually idolise movie stars. James Dean

• Like Like x 1
  19. What about Casey Stoner, he could do some things on a bike.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Which he then did in a car and now back on a bike I think?