Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Your First Bike ??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by CruiseOrLoose, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Honda

44 vote(s)
  2. Yamaha

17 vote(s)
  3. Suzuki

24 vote(s)
  4. Kawasaki

44 vote(s)
  5. Aprilia

3 vote(s)
  6. Ducati

0 vote(s)
  7. BMW

1 vote(s)
  8. Triumph

0 vote(s)
  9. Hysoung

11 vote(s)
  10. Not Listed - Post In Comment

2 vote(s)
  1. So,

Your First Bike ?
  2. Is my current bike. '04 vintage ZZR 250. Black. Meticulously cleaned and maintained.

And probably dirty from the rain today. *grumble*
  3. Kawasaki GPX 250.
  4. RZ350 two stroke crutch rocket:cheeky:
  5. BSA Bantem '48
  6. Honda CBR250RR
  7. 89'Honda Cbr250r till my friend wrote it off lol.
    Now RS125
  8. 1994 Kawasaki ZZR 250
  9. 91 Suzuki GS500E
  10. Honda CT110X! till it became unbearably slow.
  11. 1972 Honda 350/4 just like this one.

Interestingly, the poll at present indicates a strong tendency towards Kawasaki. The Big K must be very pleased that they made the ZZR250, it's been the weapon of choice for so many new riders.

I wonder, as an extrapolation of that, how many long-term riders have stuck with the brand that they started with? I've owned lost of different brands (except, perplexingly, Kawasaki), but have remained pretty much a Honda man.
  12. 1993 cbr250rr(n)
  13. Honda CD250U. aka "the spud"
  14. Had an Aprilia RS250 for a very very very short time, I didn't even get a chance to change the registration to my name before it got nicked, so I don't really count it. Buying a CBR600F4i in the next couple of weeks, so I guess while it won't TECHNICALLY be my first bike, it pretty much is.
  15. 84 Kawasaki LTD750 (No graduated licensing scheme where I first got my license). Previous owner took out all the baffles off the pipe. Man, that thing was loud.
  16. 74 Suzuki GT380. Blue of course.
  17. Honda Spada... immaculate!
  18. kawasaki zxr250.
  19. I like my ZZR-250 so much I haven't gotten rid of it yet after 26,000 km and 6 months off restrictions. Being broke could also be a factor ... I bought it for $5500 with 5000 km and it's been brilliant value and economical despite taking a beating.

But it terms of upgrades, Kawasaki don't make the list for the simple reason they don't make a bike I want (with the exception of the ZX / GTR 14 which are waaay beyond my current skill level and, erm, budget). This is a pity, because I have strong brand loyalty to Kawasaki and would like to own another.

I think Kawasaki need to forget about bikes which are sensible and that can be mass-produced cheaply (ER-6N, ER-6F, Versys) and start making bikes people want (see any Triumph triple, any V4, and Suzuki's LAMS range). Also, their supersport 600 and 1000, from what I've read, are too hardcore for the road and perhaps not sufficiently attracting the poser market (which Yammy and Ducati earn a mint from).