Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Young Pillion Riders

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by lui, Nov 9, 2009.

1. What's the legal requirement for young pillion riders? Age, weight, physical strength? Couldn't find any reference on RTA website.

2. Yeah, but it's not like kids carry ID.

I've met a few 7 year olds who could pass for 8, no worries.
  3. Same in NSW: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/2008nswrrchanges.pdf

As of 1 July 2008:

Rule 271 Riding On Motor Bikes;

the old rules:
    (essentially) The passenger of a motorcycle must have their feet on the footpegs at all times, and sit on the pillion seat facing forward at all times. Unless it's parked.

That meant your kid had to be at least tall enough to reach the footpegs.

New rule in addition to the others:
    (5A) The rider of a motorcycle must not ride with a passenger under 8 years of age unless that passenger's in a sidecar.

4. OMG! There was no age restriction before the new rule?!

Anyway, not that I'm in a hurry to 2 up with any young pillion riders.
  5. That's correct - If you had a deformed 6 month old baby with metre-long legs (meaning they could reach the footpegs), they could pillion before July 2008. ;)

IMHO that original rule pretty much self-regulated... I mean, your kid's not gonna reach the pillion pegs until they're a certain age anyway. It should be up to the rider to decide whether their child is mature enough to ride as a passenger.

C'est la vie...
  6. Good old nanny state at work, methinks.

I know of 8 year olds that are as big as a 6 year old.
    Really peoples, should be up to the rider. Maybe the rider should have a certain amount of riding years under their belt first?

Edit. By the way, I was parking marshal at the GP run this year and saw many many under 8's as pillion. Whats the go there?
  7. Law only came into effect yesterday, in Victoria.
  8. Motorcyclists ignoring stupid, stupid laws.

Should be more of it.
  9. It snuck in under the National Road Rules a little while back - along with the one about banning animals on tanks.

I will admit I'm a little puzzled about the rationale for this.

From 2004 to 2008 according to the VicRoads crashstats database there's been a total of 6 pillion passengers aged 8 or under injured and none killed.

For cyclists in the same age groups there have been 100 injured and 1 killed.

Maybe a better decision might have been to ban children under 8 from riding bicycles on the road.