Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

You learn something new every stack

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by matt232, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Someone mentioned tonight they liked my attitude of learning something from the crash the other week, which immediately made me think of Dawn and her crash posted last month.

If you take the time to read the first page of Dawn's website you can see that she takes it to a whole other level to what I was. I particularly like this quote.

Everyone has heard the saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" IMHO that saying is personified by Dawn. (just to make the hero worship complete).

So what did I learn from my latest crash? In regards to cornering, with or without gravel, I think this picture sums it up perfectly. I should have banked the bike in rather than reaching for the brakes when I "gave up" it would have been the difference between the highside that I suffered compared to a relatively painless lowside or however doubtful perhaps I might have even managed to make it through the corner.
  2. I don't recommend that you learn these things from trial and error like I have, much prefer if I could help you avoid the same pain.

Loz trotted out an old saying today which applies.

I'd MUCH prefer to be a wise man.

With that in mind I plan on taking advantage of cheap training courses at the HART ride for life day to upskill as much as possible as well as seeing if there are any dirtbike training courses around and looking into a ex-police instructor who I've heard has done some impressive stuff with personal training. No sense in having a fantastic bike (1000RR and whatever comes next) if the rider is substandard.
  3. I rather like this comment on her site. It rings true for me, I found all my exits disappeared once very quickly. I try to protect them more assertivly now.

:applause: Well said Dawn.
  4. Dawn was lucky...even if she thinks other wise.
    The car turned and stopped in front of her, it did not turn and smash into her left side of body and bike.
    It could have. She was lucky.

However it is worth noting that the more careful and aware a rider you are...the luckier you will get.

Dawn says she knew there was something "wrong" about that car. Her subconsious picked something up that her consious mind was unaware of.
    Good riders are either born with this gift or they aquire it over continued exposure to heavy traffic.

Unfortunatly it's obvious to me and other long time riders that many bikers never gain this skill.
    I'm not sure why.
    For Dawn, riding skill, sixth sense and LUCK all played a big part in her surviving that accident with minimal damage to herself.

Before anyone writes in and says I am wrong about the luck part...Dawn and I chatted the first few days her vid was on the Net. She agrees the accident could have been much worse...hence my disagreement with her involving LUCK.
    She is on a South Cali Bike forum regularly.
  5. Actually if you look at the video frame by frame you can pick the moment she realised she was going to hit. She brakes desparately hard for a sec then pulls both her legs up. She was more or less on the tank at the moment of impact. So her leg was not between her and the car

And if you look on the website pics of her crash you can clearly see the impact damage on the left of her bike from the car hitting it. He wasn;t stopped, he was going to be in a sec as he plowed into the other car tho. If he had been accelerating hard that would have happened as well. Just a teeny bit more impact force.

Luck? I think not. THat guy (Who it seems is unlikely to be charged over anything more than insurance issues and lying to the cops about insurance issues) did everything he could to kill her.

Today a friend of mine who is a vic roads licence tester told me that its strict policy that they pass 80 % oif people. Think of that.

6. OK I think we are focusing on the wrong thing here.....It’s not a matter of luck its a matter of how prepared you are to handle the situation allowing you to come out the other end in better shape than you would have otherwise.

How can you be prepared?

Gear - I had full high quality gear on; helmet, Cordura jacket and pants with thick CE armour, leather gloves, motorcycle boots and a back protector. Because of that I had a better chance of not getting a fractured arm like Justin did and road rash like both Justin and Faye got. I was 100% within a week while they still had repercussions for at least 2 weeks in Faye’s case and ongoing for Justin. (Sorry guys not picking on you just highlighting the differences in the outcomes between my gear and the leather jackets with minimal/no armour that had ridden up on your bodies and normal/Draggin jeans). In this instance because I had a little bit more gear than the other guys others might interpret it as me being "luckier" but as Dawn says it was the fact that I had spent time and money getting the best gear I could that I was able to prevent injury. This happened WELL before I got on the bike let alone when the shit hit the fan.

Situational Awareness - was lacking in my case since I didn't see the gravel until it was too late but it was well camouflaged against the existing road surface and no signage was present. This is something I’m yet to find an answer for other than to impress upon the council responsible that they need to provide signage to prevent things like this. But this is not really good enough if I’m looking at a bigger picture where I shouldn’t be dependant upon a sign for every pebble on the road.

Riding Skills - I could have reacted better to the situation once I found myself in it, thus minimising the risk of injury to myself. If I had of low sided I would have likely just slid to a stop without an injury rather than being rag dolled off the bike when it started somersaulting after it dropped off the road’s embankment. Bike probably would have been in better shape as well.

I'm starting to think motorcyclists are far far too superstitious for the own good. If lessons about wearing protective gear, maintaining a tighter awareness of what is happening around you and developing skills to better manage events as they occur (either to avoiding the shit hitting the fan or to minimise the damage once its splattered all over the place) are glossed over and dismissed as someone being "lucky" then we are denying ourselves the chance to be wise motorcyclists and learn from the experience of others. Dawn is right; you shouldn't just dismiss this kind of stuff. Instead stop for a second and think about how you yourself can benefit from what you are reading. If we could all take something away from all the stacks they have been occurring of late we would be wise people indeed.
  7. Matt, no mate, I did not miss the point at all.
    Having all ATGATT ( all the gear, all the time), perfecting your riding skills, being hyper aware of what's going on around you, all that is too the good.
    All of that will save you, no doubt about it.
    Where luck is involved is like this..you were unlucky because you could not avoid the gravel.
    Had you just managed to avoid it, you would have been lucky.
    Some guys might have hit the gravel, almost lost it, but by a combination of skill, gravity, denseness of the gravel, not have come off. Does not mean they would be better riders than you, just means they were lucky.
    I've hit oil slicks and skidded all over the road without falling off, I'd like to say it was pure skill, but obviously with oil slicks it's a 50/50 outcome.
    I do agree that it's not luck that has one wearing the right gear and the right mindset however.
    I think you'll see if you re-read my post that;
    " the more gear you have, the more aware you are...the luckier you get. "
    That was not meant to be taken literally, it was a subtle ( but serious) observation in a humorous light.