Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

You don't often get to live right through a major era

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 25, 2011.

1. The pioneer of the once-ubitiquous CD has died, aged 81.

I started my music collecting in 1966 with 45rpm singles and 12" LP records (I still have my very first LP, it's a bit battered but it still plays) and saw the rise and rise of the CD, and now have most of my music in digital format, as the CD slowly falls from its once seemingly invincible position.

And, of course, we can also thank the CD for the revolution in data distribution and storage, changing computing with a huge shift in the 90's. Does anyone else remember installing Microsoft Office '97 from 28 floppies, or Windows 95 from 13 (?). (My first CD drive cost me $238, bundled with a Sound Blaster audio card which drove the drive...)
  2. It feels weird that I first saw a CD player almost 25 years ago. It was owned by a much wealthier housemate. That puts CDs as (slightly) longer lived than cassette tapes as music storage.

And, yes, my first work computer in '96 relied on 3-and-a-bit inch floppies. I have difficulty believing how fragile they were. then again, while I was at uni only a couple of years earlier, most of the communal PCs had at least dual floppy drives allowing the continued use of 5-and-somethings too :D. Surely it wasn't that long ago?
  3. I spent a decade at Vicroads/CRB designing bridges using

Punch cards

oh yea!.
  4. My old man was an early professional in the field of computers in the UK. I spent much of my childhood making stuff (badly, I might add) out of discarded punch-cards and office gum :D.
  5. I remember hating having to do it at work (small group of computers using Windows for Workgroups 3.11).

My first CD was a single speed tray drive from tandy that cost $499 and that was half the price of the previous generation single speed drives which required the user to insert the CD into a special cartridge then load the cartridge into the drive.

Being able to back up to CD instead of floppy... well that saved me a days work each week.
  6. My first job was as a shop assistant in Brashs in 1986. Remember them ?

One side of the shop had the cassettes. The other side was the vinyl. There was a small corner with maybe 30 CDs to choose from. I can't remember selling any CDs. We also had DATs ( Digital Audio Cassettes ), don't remember selling any of those either.

A popular up-sell was the clear plastic LP covers at $0.30.
    LPs were $10.99.
    CDs were $29.99. No wonder they didn't sell.

Top 3 sellers that year in my shop were :
    1. V.Spy V.Spy, AO Mod TV Vers. ( one of my all-times faves )
    2. Paul Simon, Graceland ( bloody terrible album, I hate folk music )
    3. Pseudo Echo, Funky Town 12" single ( remember the 12" ? )
  7. I grew up near the "Wool Sheds" at Yenora. Before Darling Harbour and Homebush was built this used to be the place they held exhibitions. We used to sneak in as kids.

I remember going to some technology exhibition and seeing 12" video discs. They were supposed to be the next big thing. It must have been 15 years later befor the CD, and then DVDs, were to become commercially available
  8. I still have a Windows 98in it's wrapping never opened. And an old IBM laptop with a massive 8mb hard drive that still bloody works. The ones that had that little clit to move the courser ha ha. Come to think of it I bought that sucker in 2001 and I think it was top shelf.
    The old LP's gave rock such a classic sound though. But yeah so happy we are where we are. What was the capacity of an old floppy ??? 256mb wasn't it ????
  9. I still remember listing to my Nana's music collection as a kid, on 12" 78rpm disks. We used to catch the radio news every night on one of two working valve wireless sets that she tells me they used to listen to the war reports on. She described sitting there listening live to Robert Menzies tell us we were at war with Germany.

I sat in that room and argued passionately with her to be allowed to sit up and watch the astronauts walk on the moon, because you wouldn't go all that way and land, then have a nap before you went for a walk. I was six years old, and I was right. We'd had that B&W tv for about 6 weeks.

I bought the first cassette sony walkman I ever saw. I think I paid about $120 for it. That was more than my weekly wage at the time. It played about 5 tapes on a set of AA batteries, and they weren't cheap either.

The first computer I used was an Apple something with 5.25 floppies. That was in the winter of '79. In '83 I met a chap who had a programmable handheld calculator, worth god knows how much at the time, which could be programmed in BASIC, and I wrote a little prog to calculate engine capacity from units, bore, stroke and cylinder number.

I don't even remember what the first CDROM was that I had. I think it was in a computer about '92.

I do very much remember installing win3.11 and win95 and office from floppies. And the HP box I had that powered up for the first time and demanded to be allowed to do a full backup as it's first act. 93 floppies and 16 hours later ...

Pigs arse! Try 1.44 MB.
  10. I remember writing basic programs on a zx16 and loading programes with tap on a commodore 64.

I also remember using 5 1/4" discs on an apple 2e
  11. My first was a Commodore 128D
  12. actually the capacity of the old 5 1/4 floppies was only 360kb
  13. I was trying to write Eliza programs on an Apple 2e. That was quite fun. Spaghetti code - here we come! What's a procedure? What's a function? Who cares? We need a reply that mentions fish.
  14. Half that for single siders. Only the rich kids could afford 1.44s.
  15. yes, the first 3 1/2 discs were only 720 kb

of course, if you were really clever, you could heat up one of the missus' kitchen skewers and punch a hole through the corner and the computer MIGHT, just might, read the disc as 1.44mb

or it might refuse to read it at all, ever again :LOL:
  16. When MrsB and I bought our first computer in Oz in '98, we opted, instead of the short lived but, at least, widespread zip drive, for a system that used discs the same physical dimensions as 3.5" floppies (and, indeed, the drive would read normal floppies) but held, IIRC, 128MB. Can't remember the name now. Anyone remember them, 'cos I've never seen them since. Even more obscure than Betamax :D.
  17. Cruzer or something like that
  18. Iomega made the Zip drive, and it was infamous for the "cricket of death", a clicking sound it made just as the drive died and ate all your irreplaceable data :LOL:
  19. There were 360Kb 4 1/4 floppies (those were the most common) but AT class machines (rather than XT class) typically came with 1.2Mbit 5 1/4 inch floppy drives which would read and write to both 360kb and 1.2Mbit floppy disks.

Some 360Kb drives wouldn't read some 360Kb disks written in some 1.2mbit drives which used to cause problems for me since the servers (AT class) had 1.2Mbit drives and the desktops (XT class) had 360Kbit drives.

720Kbit/1.44Mbit 3 1/4 inch 'stiffies' (they aren't floppy!) were more reliable though.
  20. My first job in IT in 2003, was for a financial institution running basic on a universe/unix system. GOTO was still rife even then, some code written in the 80's.. shocking! Thankfully I left that industry all together now.

What about the way things are wanting to go now though. Complete online storage in "the cloud" with no local storage. Don't really like the idea of that and can't see how it could work here with our pitiful network infrastructure.